Subject: [eppext] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-eppext-reg-08: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Stephen Farrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 06:25:56 -0700

Stephen Farrell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-eppext-reg-08: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eppext-reg/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe that there are some uses of EPP that have been
mooted or even put in place that are considerd by quite a few
folks as being quite privacy unfriendly.  If so (and please
correct me if I'm wrong) that indicates that the DEs need to
explicitly include consideration of the privacy consequences
of proposed extensions and that DEs ought at minimum require
that any privacy considerations are fully documented in the
relevant specification(s). If it were up to me, I'd probably
go further on that and ask that the DEs try to ensure that
the world is more privacy friendly, but I suspect that'd be
beyond IETF consensus.