Subject: [eppext] Registry Fee Extension with IDNs

From: Michael Bauland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:46:53 +0100

Hi,

we're currently implementing and actively using the fee extension (at
the moment only the check command) [1]. There's been one problem that
occurred to us recently:
It's not possible to specify (or return) an IDN tag for the domain to check.

If a registry supports several different IDN tags and has different
prices for those tags, there isn't a way for a registrar to define what
language he would like to use.

Say you have languages A and B with overlapping IDN tables and X is a
label that's valid for both languages. Additionally, B's IDN table also
allows variants, whereas the language A does not have variants. Then the
registry might want to have a higher price when X is registered using
the IDN tag for B (because the registrar may add variants for free).

Do you think it might be worthwhile to have an additional optional IDN
attribute (similar to the phase attribute) within the command? Or what
do you think is the best way to support IDN tags?

Best regards,

Michael

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-brown-epp-fees-03

-- 
____________________________________________________________________
     |       |
     | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
      -------                    Technologiepark
                                 Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
                                 44227 Dortmund
                                 Deutschland

     Dipl.-Informatiker          Tel:    +49 231 9703-284
                                 Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
     Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    [email-masked]
     Software-Entwicklung        E-Mail: [email-masked]

                                 Registereintrag:
                                 Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 13728

                                 Geschäftsführer:
                                 Dietmar Knipp, Elmar Knipp