Subject: [eppext] combined rechartering text

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:41:13 -0400

Here is some proposed text for a rechartering focused on both EPP and RDAP.

It is based on the text James Galvin sent on July 23. However, there
are two things to note:

1. It broadens the allowable set of work items to also include
informational and BCP documents seeking IETF consensus.

2. States that EPP will be the initial focus of work items since it
has the greater backlog.

-andy

--------------

Draft Proposed Charter EPP/RDAP Extensions Working Group

The Extensible Provisioning Protocol (EPP, Standard 69) is the
standard domain name provisioning protocol for top-level domain name
registries, and the Registration Data Access Protocol (RDAP) is a
public-facing data access protocol used by domain name and Internet
number registries. As adoption of these protocols progresses by new
registries and registrars, it is important to coordinate and
standardize extensions when necessary.

The EPP Extensions (EPPEXT) working group completed its first goal of
creating an IANA registry of EPP extensions.  The registration process
of the registry is documented in RFC7451.  Extensions may be
registered for informational purposes as long as there is a published
specification that has been reviewed by a designated expert.

RDAP, completed by the WEIRDS working group, has a similar extensions
mechanism and accompanying IANA registries, also governed by expert
review and requiring published specifications.

For both protocols, extensions that seek the status of Internet
standard are subject to more thorough review and open discussion
within the IETF. In addition, commonality may be discovered in
extensions listed for which it would makes sense to merge them into a
single standard extension everybody agrees on.

This working group will be the home of the coordination effort for
standards track extensions and informational or best practices
documents needing IETF consensus.  The selection for work items shall
incorporate the following guidelines.

1. Proprietary documented extensions and individual submissions of
informational or experimental extensions will follow the expert review
process as specified for EPP and RDAP. These documents will not be
part of this working groups work or milestones. The working group may
discuss or advise on these documents.

2. Extensions that seek standards track status and other documents in
need of IETF consensus  can be suggested for WG adoption, and, once
accepted, proceed to IETF consensus and RFC publication according to
IETF practices.

3. This working group will exist as long as there are relevant
document work items.  When there are no more document work items, this
working group will either close or go dormant according to IETF rules.
The mailing list will remain open and available for the use of the
expert review process.

4. Initial work and milestones for this working group will emphasize
standardization of EPP extensions over RDAP extensions, as EPP has a
larger backlog of documents seeking adoption at the time of chartering
for this working group.

MILESTONES

TBD depending on the initial documents selected for standards track.