Subject: [eppext] AD review of draft-ietf-eppext-tmch-smd-03

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:28:39 -0500

As with the keyrelay document, please accept my apology for the delay
in processing this.  And as with that document, my comments are just
the most minor editorial things, and I will request last call as soon
as I send this message.

-- Section 2.1 --
First, is it assumed that if an element is not marked as OPTIONAL,
it's REQUIRED?  Would it be good to state that at the top?

Second, I have a general aversion to saying, "X is OPTIONAL... except
that it's not optional in a particular situation."  (It's less
confusing, I think, to reverse that.)  What you really mean in the
first two "child elements" bullets is that you MUST specify at least
one of <mark:name> and <mark:org>.  It might be better to say it that
way.  Maybe this?:

OLD
   *  An OPTIONAL <mark:name> element that contains the name of the
      holder.  A <mark:name> MUST be specified in case <mark:org> is
      not specified.

   *  An OPTIONAL <mark:org> element that contains the name of the
      organization holder of the mark.  A <mark:org> MUST be
      specified in case <mark:name> is not specified.

NEW
   *  A <mark:name> element that contains the name of the holder.
      At least one of <mark:name> and <mark:org> MUST be specified,
      and <mark:name> is OPTIONAL if <mark:org> is specified.

   *  A <mark:org> element that contains the name of the organization
      holder of the mark.  At least one of <mark:name> and <mark:org>
      MUST be specified, and <mark:org> is OPTIONAL if <mark:name> is
      specified.

END

-- Section 2.5 --
It's a little odd to have this say "Appendix A" in the section title, no?

Is there any real value in including the entire, 2.5-page-long base64?
 Is it really intended that anyone will extract that from the document
and decode it?  Or is the point just to show how the base64 data is
wrapped in the encodedSignedMark element?  If so, why not just this?:

NEW
 <smd:encodedSignedMark
    xmlns:smd="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:signedMark-1.0">
 PD94bWwgdmVyc2lvbj0iMS4wIiBlbmNvZGluZz0iVVRGLTgiPz4KPHNtZDpzaWduZWRNYXJ
 rIHhtbG5zOnNtZD0idXJuOmlldGY6cGFyYW1zOnhtbDpuczpzaWduZWRNYXJrLTEuMCIgaW
 ... (base64 data elided for brevity) ...
 PC9zbWQ6c2lnbmVkTWFyaz4=
 </smd:encodedSignedMark>
END

--
Barry