Subject: [Fecframe] FECFrame WG Charter Proposal

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:13:36 +0100

Hi,

Here is an charter proposal as proposed by Me, Stephan Wenger and Mark 
Watson. Please read and comment.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Charter for FECFrame Working Group (Draft 051121)

The object of this group is to develop specifications for using forward
error correction (FEC) codes with applications in the Internet to
provide protection against packet loss. The group will develop a
protocol framework for application of FEC codes to arbitrary packet
flows over unreliable transport protocols over both IP multicast and
unicast. The application of the FEC codec on an aggregate of multiple
packet flows may be investigated and considered to be included in the
solution. The group will build on the work of the RMT working group in
the form of the FEC Building Block developed there to ensure that the
framework developed can support multiple FEC codes and maintain
independence between FEC codes and protocols based on the framework.

A primary objective of this framework is to support FEC for streaming
media. Other usages will be considered and prioritized, if brought to
the working groups attention during the development of the requirements.
The group will coordinate closely with AVT and MMUSIC working groups to
ensure that the streaming use-case is fully specified both in terms of
interactions with RTP/RTCP and application layer signalling.  The group
will also coordinate with the DCCP working group, at least, considering
that transport protocol's role in streaming media. The interactions of
the framework with existing and used security mechanisms must also be
considered.

The group will work with the RMT working group to ensure that the FEC
Building Block defined in RMT supports both the RMT use-cases (object
delivery over multicast) and the more general FEC protection of IP flows
over unreliable unicast and multicast transport.

Specification of hybrid schemes involving both retransmission and
forward error correction is out of scope of the group.

MILESTONES:

April  06 - Working Group consensus on requirements and their
             prioritization for the FEC protocol framework
August 06 - Completed selection of solution to develop and mature
April  07 - FEC Streaming Framework submitted as Proposed Standard
August 07 - Submit supporting specifications such as usage
             considerations, signalling interactions and requirements for
             publication.

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Fecframe mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe