Subject: [Fecframe] Updated Charter and Milestones proposal

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:32:36 +0100

Hi,

Below is an updated charter and milestone proposal that I will use in 
the forming process.

FEC Framework (FECFrame)

Chairs: Greg Shepherd     ([email-masked])
         Marshall Eubanks  ([email-masked])

Transport Area Director(s):
         Magnus Westerlund ([email-masked])
	Lars Eggert 	  ([email-masked])

Transport Area Advisor:
         Magnus Westerlund ([email-masked])

Charter for FECFrame Working Group

The object of this group is to develop specifications for using forward
error correction (FEC) codes with applications in the Internet to
provide protection against packet loss. The group will develop a
protocol framework for application of FEC codes to arbitrary packet
flows over unreliable transport protocols over both IP multicast and
unicast. The application of the FEC codec on an aggregate of multiple
packet flows may be investigated and considered to be included in the
solution. The FECFrame working group will build on the FEC Building
Block developed by the RMT working group. The FEC Building Block was
developed there to ensure that the RMT framework developed can support
multiple FEC codes and maintain independence between FEC codes and
protocols based on the framework.

A primary objective of this framework is to support FEC for streaming
media. Other potential usages of the framework may be brought to the
working group for consideration during the development of the
requirements, to enable future support of those usages. The group will
coordinate closely with the AVT and MMUSIC working groups to ensure that
the streaming use-case is fully specified both in terms of interactions
with RTP/RTCP and application layer signalling. The group will also
coordinate with the DCCP working group, at least to consider that
transport protocol's role in streaming media. The interactions of the
framework with existing and used security mechanisms must also be
considered.

The group will work with the RMT working group to ensure that the FEC
Building Block defined in RMT supports both the RMT use-cases (object
delivery over multicast) and the more general FEC protection of
flow(s) over unreliable unicast and multicast transport.

Specification of hybrid schemes involving both retransmission and
forward error correction is out of scope of the group.

MILESTONES:

Nov 06 - Working Group consensus on requirements and their
          prioritization for the FEC protocol framework
Mar 07 - Completed selection of solution to develop and mature
Nov 07 - FEC Streaming Framework submitted as Proposed Standard
Mar 08 - Submit supporting specifications such as usage
          considerations, signalling interactions and requirements for
          publication.

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Fecframe mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe