Subject: [Fecframe] Feedback support by the FEC Framework

From: "Ali Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:16:51 -0700

Hi everyone,

Following up with Magnus' email, I would like to get your opinions and
suggestions about how the WG should proceed regarding the feedback
issue.

Currently, the framework does not provide any guideline for the receiver
end-points about what they should report back to the sender (or another
3rd party). The first question is of course whether we should generalize
this feedback support and provide the guidelines in the framework draft
OR we should leave these issues to the individual FEC schemes and CDPs.
(E.g., an FEC scheme may use RTCP machinery to benefit from the receiver
reports and RTCP extended reports to provide any level of detailed
feedback about the FEC performance and other metrics listed below.)

If you think the framework should generalize the feedback support and
should define the minimal information that will be included in the
feedback reports, please make your recommendations. 

FYI, this issue came up in the design team meeting in late January. The
design team decided to make the feedback support optional (not a MUST
but RECOMMENDED). The basic feedback information that - we thought-
would be useful was:

1) Which FEC schemes and/or repair flows are used by which clients
2) How useful the repair flows are, what the FEC recovery performance is
3) FEC performance variation over time (e.g., in the long term for
planning purposes and in the short term for faster adaptation); number
of errors in errored blocks, number of errored blocks, number of
corrected errors per source block, various histograms.
4) Feedback information can also (if applicable) sent back to the sender
when all the missing symbols in a source block are recovered, and the
sender starts the (early) transmission of the next source block

Please share your comments.

Thanks,
-acbegen
_______________________________________________
Fecframe mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe