Subject: Re: [Fecframe] Backward compatibility of the 1D/2D draft with RFC 2733, RFC 5109 and SMPTE 2022-1

From: Thomas Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:20:17 -0700

I'd like to state that there are a large number of deployed MPEG encoders
and decoders in the field with Pro-MPEG CoP#3 / SMPTE 2022-1 (a Google for
+"mpeg cop 3" +ethernet should reveal a number).

As a user, my hope is that SMPTE, DVB, and IETF can move forward in a
harmonious fashion that maintains interoperation of current deployed devices
while not limiting future performance gains in FEC systems.

-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Edwards
Vice President, Digital Television Testing & Evaluation
FOX Technology Group
thomas.edwards at fox.com
p. 310.369.7093
10201 West Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90035

_______________________________________________
Fecframe mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe

---

From: "Greg Shepherd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:27:51 -0700

>  while not limiting future performance gains in FEC systems.

Thanks Thomas. I believe the objective of FECFrame is to allow for any
number of FEC schemes and any one scheme should not preclude the
inclusion of another. My expectation would be that anyone needing
support for Pro-MPEG CoP#3 / SMPTE 2022-1 would submit a scheme draft
to the FECFrame WG.

Greg

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:05:45 -0400

> support for Pro-MPEG CoP#3 / SMPTE 2022-1 would submit a scheme draft

I think that we should strongly encourage this.

Regards
Marshall