Subject: [Fecframe] D parameter of Non-Interleaved Parity FEC scheme

From: "Guy Bonneau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:16:54 -0400

I'm reading the draft of RTP Payload Format for Non-Interleaved and
Interleaved Parity FEC.

In section 5.1.1, 5.1.2, 5.1.3 the parameter D is defined as:

   o  D:  Number of rows of the source block.  D is a positive integer.

Since this parameter apply to non-interleaved-parityfec I was wondering why
it is needed. Isn't it should be hardcoded to 1 by definition of the fec
scheme being non-interleaved.

Thanks
Guy Bonneau

_______________________________________________
Fecframe mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe

---

From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:44:38 -0700

I believe you are referring to:

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-fecframe-1d2d-parity-scheme-00.txt

D and L values determine the source block size, which is required for
both interleaved and non-interleaved FEC.

In non-interleaved FEC, it means either L or D is one (both can be one,
too). FEC over a single column with N row(s) is identical to FEC over a
single row with N columns, where N>=1.

Thus, we don't (and should not) explicitly say D is always 1 for
non-interleaved FEC. In the draft we show it that way, but it is simply
for illustration.

BR,
-acbegen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Guy Bonneau
> Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 10:17 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Fecframe] D parameter of Non-Interleaved Parity FEC scheme
> 
> Since this parameter apply to non-interleaved-parityfec I was
wondering
> why