Subject: [Fecframe] [Fwd: [Rmt] RFC 5510 on Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes]

From: Vincent Roca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:11:31 +0200

Hello everybody,

FYI, the RFC specifying the Reed-Solomon Schemes that I mentioned during
the previous meeting is now available (see mail below). It's for file
transfer-like applications (RMT), but it also defines the underlying code.

In order to answer (partially) to a question asked during this meeting,
you'll find a complexity analysis in sections:
	8.2.2.  Encoding Complexity
	8.3.2.  Decoding Complexity
But of course, the way it's implemented matters a lot in the actual
encoding/decoding speed that can be achieved. In any case, you can download
the open-source codec and test by yourself.

Regards,

  Vincent (on behalf of the authors)

Subject: [Rmt] RFC 5510 on Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Schemes
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:54:39 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: Reliable Multicast Transport <rmt.ietf.org>

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5510

        Title:      Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) 
                    Schemes 
        Author:     J. Lacan, V. Roca,
                    J. Peltotalo, S. Peltotalo
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2009
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked]
        Pages:      28
        Characters: 57493
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-rmt-bb-fec-rs-05.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5510.txt

This document describes a Fully-Specified Forward Error Correction
(FEC) Scheme for the Reed-Solomon FEC codes over GF(2^^m), where m is
in {2..16}, and its application to the reliable delivery of data
objects on the packet erasure channel (i.e., a communication path
where packets are either received without any corruption or discarded
during transmission).  This document also describes a Fully-Specified
FEC Scheme for the special case of Reed-Solomon codes over GF(2^^8)
when there is no encoding symbol group.  Finally, in the context of
the Under-Specified Small Block Systematic FEC Scheme (FEC Encoding
ID 129), this document assigns an FEC Instance ID to the special case
of Reed-Solomon codes over GF(2^^8).

Reed-Solomon codes belong to the class of Maximum Distance Separable
(MDS) codes, i.e., they enable a receiver to recover the k source
symbols from any set of k received symbols.  The schemes described
here are compatible with the implementation from Luigi Rizzo.  
[STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the Reliable Multicast Transport Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

_______________________________________________
Rmt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rmt