Subject: [Fecframe] Minutes for IETF 74

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 09:42:36 -0400

I apologize for this delay - and many thanks to Ulas Kozat for being  
the scribe !

Vincent, do you remember the answer to the question asked at the end -  
the answer was not
recorded.

Regards
Marshall

IETF 74, FEC Framework (FECFrame) Meeting Minutes

Chairs

Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>

=========================================================
THURSDAY, March 26, 2009
1300-1500 Afternoon Session I
Continental 3	TSV	fecframe
	
           AGENDA

            o Administriva

              - Mailing list: [email-masked]
                To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe
              - Charter : http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/fecframe-charter.html

              - Scribe(s)?

              - Blue Sheets

            o Agenda  
Bashing                                               5 minutes
                Chairs

            o Review and status of work  
items                              10 minutes
                Chairs

              RFC published
              ------------
              <none>

              Expired (On Hold)
              ------------
              Forward Error Correction (FEC) Framework

              Active Drafts
              ------------

              draft-ietf-fecframe-1d2d-parity-scheme
              draft-ietf-fecframe-config-signaling	
              draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec	
              draft-ietf-fecframe-framework	
              draft-ietf-fecframe-interleaved-fec-scheme	
              draft-ietf-fecframe-pseudo-cdp	
              draft-ietf-fecframe-raptor	-00	
              draft-ietf-fecframe-rtp-raptor
              draft-ietf-fecframe-sdp-elements	

              Active Drafts (Presentations & Discussions)
              -------------

              Ali Begen
              draft-ietf-fecframe-interleaved-fec-scheme-02.txt         
5 minutes
              draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-01.txt                     
5 minutes

              Mark Watson
              draft-ietf-fecframe-rtp-raptor-01.txt                    
10 minutes

              Ulas C. Kozat
              draft-ietf-fecframe-pseudo-cdp                            
5 minutes

              New Drafts (Presentations & Discussions)
              -------------

              Vincent Roca
              draft-roca-fecframe-rs-00.txt                            
10 minutes

------

Notes for FECFRAME WG:

----- draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-01.txt:

Q: Do you mean RTP profile or a payload format?
A: RTP profile.

Q: DVB does not use SDP, so what is the concern?
A: They want to use SDP but there is no way of defining FEC parameters  
in SDP.

Q: Do you want to provide such support then?
A: That is the intention, but not very hopeful.

Q: What is the intention of this document? It does repeat and  
reference DVB AL-FEC heavily, rather should it be referencing other  
IETF draft documents?
A: This is an informational draft that simply says if you want to use  
DVB AL-FEC, this is the reference document to use for the actual  
protocol.

Q: Ready for WGLC? 4-5 to 0 in favor of WGLC.

----- draft-ietf-fecframe-interleaved-fec-scheme-02.txt:

Q: The discussion on CNAME, does it also hold for multicast?
A: Yes.

Q: Does minimum offer mean minimum D parameter?
A: Yes.

Q: What do you mean by multiple offers?
A: Multiple m lines to choose from a single offer should be the right  
terminology.

Q: Is there an IANA consideration?
A: Yes.

Q: Is this a fully specified FEC Scheme or does it just define an RTP  
payload format?
A: It is not a fully specified FEC Scheme.

Q: Should we make it a fully specified FEC Scheme?

Q: Ready for WGLC? 4-5 to 0 in favor of WGLC.

----- draft-ietf-fecframe-rtp-raptor-01.txt:

Q: Is there any IANA consideration?
A: Registration for the payload types are needed.

Q: RTP payload type documents needs to be WGLC at AVT as well?
A: We just last call and cross-post it.

Q: Ready for WGLC?
6 to 0 in favor of WGLC.

Should we call for WGLC for framework document before passing others  
to WGLC?
All voted yes to WGLC for the framework. Afterwards the rest will be  
called.

----- draft-ietf-fecframe-pseudo-cdp:

Dependent on framework, SDP, and signaling documents.

----- draft-roca-fecframe-rs-00.txt

Q: What is the use case for this code?

---

From: Vincent Roca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:28:30 +0200

Hello Marshall,

> Vincent, do you remember the answer to the question asked at the end -
[...]
> Q: What is the use case for this code?

Here is my record of the discussion around our I-D,
which includes in particular the important remark
from Mark concerning potential IPRs that must be
recorded in the minutes.

--------

Mark W.: He informs the group that there may be IPR(s) applying
to this I-D. A disclosure will be issued if needed.

Q: What is the target use-case for R-S codes?
Vincent: R-S are well known, systematic codes, with ideal erasure
recovery capabilities. They are well suited when having small blocks
is not an issue (usually the case with real-time applications) and
for "medium bit rate" flows.

Q: What is the encoding/decoding complexity?
Vincent: we'll send more information on the list.

Marshall: Do you ask this I-D to be WG Item?
Vincent: Not yet because many sections are still missing in this
version. Our goal is to revise the document for IETF75 first, and
then to ask for the group opinion.

---------

Regards,

  Vincent

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:31:54 -0400

OK, excellent, this has been added to the minutes.

By the way, Mark, what is the status of that IPR disclosure ?

Regards
Marshall

---

From: "Watson, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:36:06 -0700

Marshall,

Our legal people are looking in to whether a disclosure is necessary. I will ping them.

...Mark

On 5/11/09 6:31 AM, "Marshall Eubanks" <[email-masked]> wrote:

Regards
Marshall

> then to ask for the group opinion.

_______________________________________________
Fecframe mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe