Subject: [Fecframe] draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec Request for publication

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 07:23:11 -0700

*,

The document draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03 is now ready for
publication. Please see the attached Document Shepherd Write-up.

Thanks,
Greg

---

Document Shepherd Write-up for draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03

1.a) The Document Shepherd is Greg Shepherd.

1.b) The document has had adequate review both from within and from
outside the FECFrame working group.

1.c) There are no concerns regarding the need for additional expanded review.

1.d) The only concern in regards to this document involves the
interaction and acceptance of this work by DVB

1.e) There is solid WG consensus for this document.

1.f) There is no discontent.

1.g) idnits seems to have a bug where it treats the example SDP values
in Section 3. of the draft as a domain name: vnd.dvb.iiptv.alfec.
There are no other issues.

1.h) References are split between normative and informative. There are
three normative references to drafts from the FECFrame WG that are
also in the process of progressing to last-call:
draft-ietf-fecframe-interleaved-fec-scheme
draft-ietf-fecframe-raptor
draft-ietf-fecframe-rtp-raptor
There is one other normative reference to a draft in the MMUSIC WG
that is also in the process of progressing to last-call:
draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc4765bis

1.i) There are no IANA considerations

1.j) The xml code validates correctly

1.k)

Technical Summary
	The Annex E of the DVB-IPTV technical specification defines an
optional Application-layer Forward Error Correction (AL-FEC) protocol
to protect the streaming media carried over RTP transport. The
DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol uses two layers for FEC protection: 1-D
parity code base layer, and a Raptor code enhancement layer. By
offering a layered approach, the DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol offers a
good protection against both bursty and random packet loss at a cost
of decent complexity. This document describes how one can implement
the DVB-IPTV AL-FEC protocol by using the 1-D interleaved parity code
and the Raptor code which are specified in separate documents

Working Group Summary
	There were no seriously contentious issues during the WG process. The
only controversy stemmed from some individuals who did the work in
SMPTE and defied this approach in the DVB spec, who felt the IETF
should not be doing this work. But there were industry requests for an
IETF definition of the DVB spec and so this work progressed.

Document Quality
	Any DVB-compliant implementation will be compliant with the DVP-IPTV
AL-FEC specification as well.

Personal
	Document Shepherd – Greg Shepherd
	Responsible Area Director - TBD