Subject: Re: [Fecframe] Last Call: draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec (DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection) to Informational RFC

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:47:54 +0000

On 30 Nov 2009, at 15:35, The IESG wrote:
> The IESG has received a request from the FEC Framework WG (fecframe)  
> to
> consider the following document:
>
> - 'DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection '
>   <draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03.txt> as an Informational RFC
>
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send substantive comments to  
> the
> [email-masked] mailing lists by 2009-12-14. Exceptionally,
> comments may be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please
> retain the beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec-03.txt

I understand, from previous conversations with the author, that the  
aim of this draft is "to explain how one can use IETF specs to  
implement AL-FEC protocol". That's a fine goal, and this draft does a  
reasonable job in providing such an explanation.

However, I believe - as I previously stated in the working group -  
that the relationship between this draft and the DVB AL-FEC  
specification is not clearly defined.  While the abstract is  
reasonably clear on the relationship, the title and introduction  
suggest that this draft is the DVB AL-FEC protocol, rather than being  
implementation guidelines for the DVB AL-FEC protocol. One way to  
address this might be to change the title of the draft to "Guidelines  
for Implementing DVB-IPTV Application-Layer Hybrid FEC Protection",  
and to add a few clarifying sentences to the introduction.

I have no problems with the technical content of the draft.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/

---

From: "Ali C. Begen (abegen)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:55:30 -0800

Sounds like a good suggestion. We will make the text change after the LC ends.

Thanks.
-acbegen

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Colin
> Perkins
> Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 11:48 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: IETF Discussion Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [Fecframe] Last Call: draft-ietf-fecframe-dvb-al-fec (DVB-IPTVApplication-
> Layer Hybrid FEC Protection) to Informational RFC
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Fecframe mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/fecframe