Subject: [Fecframe] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload Format for 1-D Interleaved Parity FEC' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 06:57:06 -0800 (PST)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload Format for 1-D Interleaved Parity FEC '
   <draft-ietf-fecframe-interleaved-fec-scheme-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the FEC Framework Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-fecframe-interleaved-fec-scheme-09.txt

Technical Summary

This document defines a new RTP payload format for the Forward Error
Correction that is generated by the 1-D interleaved parity code from a
source media encapsulated in RTP. The 1-D interleaved parity code is a
systematic code, where a number of repair symbols are generated from a
set of source symbols and sent in a repair flow separate from the
source flow that carries the source symbols. The new payload format
defined in this document is used (with some exceptions) as part of the
DVB Application-layer FEC specification.

Working Group Summary

There were no seriously contentious issues during the WG process. The
only controversy stemmed from some individuals who did the work in
SMPTE and didn't want the IETF redefining their work. But the problem
is that RFC 2733 did not protect some fields in the header and SMPTE
was based on RFC 2733. SMTPE spec also made mistakes with SSRC, CSRC
and timestamps which are corrected in this document. Additionally, RTP
validity checks fail in RPF 2733/SMTPE specs.

Document Quality

Current implementations follow SMTPE and not yet this specification.

Personal

Document Shepherd - Greg Shepherd
Responsible Area Director - Magnus Westerlund