Subject: [Fecframe] Last Call: <draft-ietf-fecframe-ldpc-02.txt> (Simple LDPC-Staircase Forward Error Correction (FEC) Scheme for FECFRAME) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 08:59:14 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the FEC Framework WG (fecframe) to
consider the following document:
- 'Simple LDPC-Staircase Forward Error Correction (FEC) Scheme for
   FECFRAME'
  <draft-ietf-fecframe-ldpc-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-10-01. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a fully-specified simple FEC scheme for LDPC-
   Staircase codes that can be used to protect media streams along the
   lines defined by the FECFRAME framework.  These codes have many
   interesting properties: they are systematic codes, they perform close
   to ideal codes in many use-cases and they also feature very high
   encoding and decoding throughputs.  LDPC-Staircase codes are
   therefore a good solution to protect a single high bitrate source
   flow, or to protect globally several mid-rate flows within a single
   FECFRAME instance.  They are also a good solution whenever the
   processing load of a software encoder or decoder must be kept to a
   minimum.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-ldpc/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-fecframe-ldpc/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.