Subject: [Fecframe] RFC 6865 on Simple Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction (FEC) Scheme for FECFRAME

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:34:04 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6865

        Title:      Simple Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction 
                    (FEC) Scheme for FECFRAME 
        Author:     V. Roca, M. Cunche,
                    J. Lacan, A. Bouabdallah,
                    K. Matsuzono
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 48493
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-fecframe-simple-rs-06.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6865.txt

This document describes a fully-specified simple Forward Error
Correction (FEC) scheme for Reed-Solomon codes over the finite field
(also known as the Galois Field) GF(2^^m), with 2 <= m <= 16, that
can be used to protect arbitrary media streams along the lines
defined by FECFRAME.  The Reed-Solomon codes considered have
attractive properties, since they offer optimal protection against
packet erasures and the source symbols are part of the encoding
symbols, which can greatly simplify decoding.  However, the price to
pay is a limit on the maximum source block size, on the maximum
number of encoding symbols, and a computational complexity higher
than that of the Low-Density Parity Check (LDPC) codes, for instance.

This document is a product of the FEC Framework Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC