Subject: [Forces-protocol] FW: ForCES protocol merger

From: "Putzolu, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:31:40 -0800

(Resending to add to archive)

  _____  

From: Wang,Weiming [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 11:40 PM
To: Steve Blake; Robert Haas; Putzolu, David; Patrick Droz; Khosravi,
Hormuzd M; Jon Maloy; Jamal Hadi Salim; Dong, Ligang; Chaoping Wu; Alex
Audu; Wang, Guangming; Guo, Yunfei
Subject: Re: ForCES protocol merger

Hi Hormuzd,
 
That seems a good beginning for the process. I'll send some comments
later soon.
 
One thing I have to mention, it seems mainly I who needs to forward the
post to several others. If you 
mean to all protocol authors, could you add some more to your mail list
so that I can do less? The guys I
need to forward are  [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked] .
 
Thank you.
 
Weiming
 
----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Khosravi, Hormuzd M <mailto:[email-masked]>

	To: Steven Blake <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Jamal Hadi
Salim <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Robert Haas <mailto:[email-masked]>
; Jon Maloy <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; [email-masked] ;
[email-masked] ; [email-masked] ; Wang,Weiming
<mailto:[email-masked]>  
	Cc: Putzolu, David <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Patrick
Droz <mailto:[email-masked]>  
	Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 8:16 AM
	Subject: ForCES protocol merger

	Hi All
	 
	Here is a protocol brainstorming doc that David and myself put
together to start the discussion on protocol merger
	and try and find some common principles that we can work off. I
have included all the protocol authors that I am aware of
	in this email. Feel free to forward this to any other folks that
I might have missed out.
	 
	Pls send your comments on this doc to everyone. Hope we can
start some fruitful discussion on this topic.

	Thanks
	Hormuzd

---

From: "Putzolu, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:31:59 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamal Hadi Salim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 6:59 AM
To: Khosravi, Hormuzd M
Cc: Steven Blake; Robert Haas; Jon Maloy; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; Wang,Weiming; Putzolu,
David; Patrick Droz; jeff pickering
Subject: Re: ForCES protocol merger

I have added to the list Jeff Pickering who is a new couathor for us.

To start i will say that the netlink2 people are interested in being on
this boat. For this reason we have not releasd an updated netlink2
draft.

I dont like the brainstorming document as a starter.
Brainstorming can be done via emails or concals. And please no word
docs.
Our attempt in Mineapolis was in the wrong direction because there
were no ground rules on how to proceed. We need to agree on some ground
rules first otherwise we are going to end in some deadlock. 
I am going to suggest one which i came up with after the last
meeting:

As in any conflict, people should be open to giving up some things in
order to reach a compromise. I can understand that this may not be 
100% technical driven; what i am hoping for is to have less than 5%
policitical drive.
This is the main reason i suggested that each protocol authors list what
they cant live without. Lets iron that out so we can reduce conflict.
For each item draft authors cant live without, the how and justification
of why must be listed. 
In the IETF typical approach of such "cant live without mechanisms"
would be based on implementation and deployment experience. I have to
say i learnt a few things on implementing netlink2 that i would have
previously disagreed with - so that approach is useful.

I will try to be open hoping it is the correct thing to do to avoid
conflict:
Speaking from a political/bussiness side for myself: we have implemented
the full netlink2 which means we have invested time and resources in it
(and infact have deployed it in one site). However,
we are willing to throw all that away provided there will be progress
here which is not driven by politics rather by a technical drive.

So lets start with a list of ground rules.

cheers,
jamal

_______________________________________________
Forces-protocol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces-protocol

---

From: "Putzolu, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:31:19 -0800

_____  

From: Khosravi, Hormuzd M 
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 4:16 PM
To: 'Steven Blake'; 'Jamal Hadi Salim'; 'Robert Haas'; 'Jon Maloy';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; 'Wang,Weiming'
Cc: Putzolu, David; 'Patrick Droz'
Subject: ForCES protocol merger

Hi All
 
Here is a protocol brainstorming doc that David and myself put together
to start the discussion on protocol merger
and try and find some common principles that we can work off. I have
included all the protocol authors that I am aware of
in this email. Feel free to forward this to any other folks that I might
have missed out.
 
Pls send your comments on this doc to everyone. Hope we can start some
fruitful discussion on this topic.

Thanks
Hormuzd