Subject: RE: [Forces-protocol] Unicast/Multicast/Broadcast and AD stance & use of TCP/SCTP/UDP/IP in ForCES

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 00:12:16 -0800

Jon,

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jon Maloy

With TIPC, it will somewhat reduce the flexibility of the port name
sequence concept, which makes it possible for the CE:s to define
"multicast groups for the occasion", but it should be easily mappable
to a more static multicast group concept, if this is sufficient.

As David stated, the TML layer for L2 would be virtually empty
if mapped down to TIPC, and would give us an early available
implementation of ForCES over L2. Speaking from experience,
implementing a stable and performant transport layer with
retransmission,
node- and process supervision, media load sharing and failover etc, not 
to speak
about reliable multicast,  is far from trivial, and we may risk to never

see
such a protocol come into existence  => we would be confined to TCP,
SCTP
and the properties those protocols can offer.

[HK] Agree, I think it would be a good idea to use TIPC in the non-IP
case, running ForCES over L2. It will take care of a lot of issues that
you have pointed out and help us concentrate our energies on designing
at the PL rather than TML.

_______________________________________________
Forces-protocol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces-protocol

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 2004 07:29:20 -0500

> at the PL rather than TML.

I think TIPC should be one of the TML but not the only
TML for L2 - so lets not rush to making this judgement. 
I know i will implement over TIPC (as one of n TMLs).

The abstraction layer provides us opportunities, so lets not kill those.
Example, I have customers who think that they have the greatest
clustering protocol invented and with the abstraction layer i can now
tell them what API i need provided to the PL level. As long as their
TML runs within their NEs this should be fine in my opinion.

cheers,
jamal