Subject: RE: [Forces-protocol] topic 4c: Common Header

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 20:18:47 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamal Hadi Salim [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> There will also be times when i wont be interested in
> the response (and this is not just in the case of events).  
> 
> [HK] Most of the Control Plane Apps such as routing/switching
protocols
> that I have worked with need responses for any commands such as Config
> or Query msgs. Could you give some examples of what msgs you don't
need
> responses for ? Also, how do we satisfy the timeliness requirement
which
> without protocol level responses or acks ?

I dont wanna speculate about others - i think the possibilty is
certainly there, but a simple example is a PL heartbeat scheme where i
can occasionaly request for an ACK. We have used this and found it
useful.

[HK] Sure, HB is probably a good example and that falls under the
category of Event messages for now (as Weiming suggested). Except for
HBs, events, packet redirection msgs, the app or CE will need responses
for all other msgs.

regards
Hormuzd

_______________________________________________
Forces-protocol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces-protocol

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 May 2004 23:26:19 -0400

> HBs, events, packet redirection msgs, the app or CE will need responses

You say HB is a good example, but its under event - does that imply 
you cant request for a heartbeat response? I think thats what you said,
just double checking

cheers,
jamal