Subject: RE: [Forces-protocol] topic 4c: Common Header

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 20:46:39 -0700

Jamal,

-----Original Message-----
From: Jamal Hadi Salim [mailto:[email-masked]] 

> [HK] Sure, HB is probably a good example and that falls under the
> category of Event messages for now (as Weiming suggested). Except for
> HBs, events, packet redirection msgs, the app or CE will need
responses
> for all other msgs.

You say HB is a good example, but its under event - does that imply 
you cant request for a heartbeat response? I think thats what you said,
just double checking

[HK] You got me on that one buddy :-) Guess its been a long day for me.
Anyways, although my email implies that you cant request a HB resp, that
was not my intention.
I think HB msgs are special as such (we have put them in a separate
category in the Reqs as well) and we definitely need responses for them.
It might be better to define HBs are separate msgs rather than
Events...do you agree ? In any case, the point that I was trying to make
is that you do need responses for all your control msgs such as
Association Setup, Config, Query, Subscribe, State Maintenance (I notice
I forgot to all Responses for the latter 2 in my protocol message
summary). Do you agree ?

regards
Hormuzd

_______________________________________________
Forces-protocol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces-protocol

---

From: Jamal Hadi Salim <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 May 2004 07:19:14 -0400

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 23:46, Khosravi, Hormuzd M wrote:

> [HK] 
> Events...do you agree ? 

That sounds reasonable. Note, however, i gave that as just as an example
because we used that feature. There could be vendor specific messages
which may have these needs. What is the cost of adding such a feature?

> In any case, the point that I was trying to make

Except when you deliver such messages from FE towards CE where they come
out as events. Did we settle on whether we want to do this? Refer to
discussion on peer model.

cheers,
jamal