Subject: [Forces-protocol] RE: Applying changes to Section 6 (Protocol Messages)

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:58:22 -0700

Robert,
 
As I said, your note mostly looks...I have put some more comments
below...
(It would help a lot if you start defining the FE, Protocol LFBs...)

________________________________

From: Robert Haas [mailto:[email-masked]] 

All: below is a rough list of changes and pending issues regarding
section 6. Please review.

 6.1.1 Association: The CE could obtain the HBI with a
Query-SGT-FEProtocolLFP-HeartbeatInterval. Given the new Assoc msg
strcutrue, we have to remove HBI from the Assoc Setup msg.  [Agreed,
this would be part of ProtocolLFB even if it is in this message] 

 6.1.2 How has the srcID=0 case been handled in the interop tests ? Is
this really feasible ?  [Yes it worked fine during Interop] 

 6.2 Query: coarse FE info (inter/intra-FE topology, etc) goes into the
FEProtocolLFB.  [Agreed it would be in some LFB, but not sure which LFB
this would be part of...?] 

 6.4: Events: coarse CE and FE events go into CE/FEProtocolLFB. Note
that for the sake of symmetry, we should introduce a CEProtocolLFB.
[Sure, why dont you start defining some of these objects...then we can
discuss more in detail] 

 6.6 State Maintenance: FE Activate/Deactivate/Shutdown become settable
attributes in the FEProtocolLFB.  [Yes, these messages will be part of
Events or Config...we need to specify this] 

 6.7 HB remains as is.  [Agreed] 

In summary, we have the following operations defined for each message
type ( I broke the table into 3 parts):
 [looks good!] 
OPERATION       APPLICABLE MESSAGE TYPES

                Assoc-Setup  Assoc-Setup-Resp Assoc-Teardown Heartbeat

no operations
defined

                Query  Query-Resp  Config  Config-Resp
SET, DEL, UPDATE                     x          x
GET               x         x
EV_S, EV_U                           x          x

(for event subscribe/unsubscribe)

                Packet-Redir

PAYLOAD            x

                Event-Notif  Event-Notif-Resp
EVENT              x                x

Note that for Query(-Resp), Packet-Redir, and Event-Notif(-Resp), we
have each time only one operation. Looks a bit redundant. Ideas ?
[These are all very different, lets leave them as is, its not necessary
to have multiple operations in all messages] 

Regards,
-Robert

_______________________________________________
Forces-protocol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces-protocol

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:38:49 +0200

Hormuzd,
Could you please pass the token on section 6 together with your latest 
version so I can start editing it ?
Thanks,
-Robert

Khosravi, Hormuzd M wrote:

> Robert,
>  
> As I said, your note mostly looks...I have put some more comments below...
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  6.2 Query: coarse FE info (inter/intra-FE topology, etc) goes into 
> the FEProtocolLFB.  [Agreed it would be in some LFB, but not sure 
> which LFB this would be part of...?] 
>
>  6.6 State Maintenance: FE Activate/Deactivate/Shutdown become 
> settable attributes in the FEProtocolLFB.  [Yes, these messages will 
> be part of Events or Config...we need to specify this] 
>
> [These are all very different, lets leave them as is, its not 
> necessary to have multiple operations in all messages] 
>
> Regards,
> -Robert

-- 
Robert Haas
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory
Säumerstrasse 4
CH-8803 Rüschlikon/Switzerland
phone +41-1-724-8698  fax +41-1-724-8578  http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~rha