Subject: [Forces-protocol] RE: Meaning of PACKET *SUBSCRIBE operation type unclear

From: "Khosravi, Hormuzd M" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:39:44 -0700

Robert,

I tried to explain this in my response to Jamal, not sure if you saw
that ? 

This has been added to support the Requirements RFC section6 #9...

 9) Packet Redirection/Mirroring
      a) The ForCES protocol MUST define a way to redirect packets from
         the FE to the CE and vice-versa.  Packet redirection terminates
         any further processing of the redirected packet at the FE.
      b) The ForCES protocol MUST define a way to mirror packets from
         the FE to the CE.  Mirroring allows the packet duplicated by
         the FE at the mirroring point to be sent to the CE while the
         original packet continues to be processed by the FE.

   Examples of packets that may be redirected or mirrored include
   control packets (such as RIP, OSPF messages) addressed to the
   interfaces or any other relevant packets (such as those with Router
   Alert Option set).  The ForCES protocol MUST also define a way for
   the CE to configure the behavior of a) and b) (above), to specify
   which packets are affected by each.

If there is a cleaner/faster way to do this, pls propose and I am happy
to discuss.
But lets not make changes to the draft before discussing these issues.

Regards
Hormuzd

P.s. I first had this as part of Event Type, but based on your comments
I made this change, I thought this was cleaner...

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Haas [mailto:[email-masked]] 

Hormuzd,
Could you please explain again the use of PACKET *SUBSCRIBE in the 
Config msg ?
Can we use another existing operation type and/or LFB for this ?

Thanks,

_______________________________________________
Forces-protocol mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/forces-protocol

---

From: Robert Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:11:27 +0200

Hormuzd,

>I made this change, I thought this was cleaner...
My current thinking is that any LFB that generates PKT_REDIR messages 
will provide attributes that can be configured to decide which packets 
must be redirected or mirrored. A CONFIG msg to the appropriate 
attribute(s) should suffice, no ?

Regards,
-Robert

-- 
Robert Haas
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory
Säumerstrasse 4
CH-8803 Rüschlikon/Switzerland
phone +41-1-724-8698  fax +41-1-724-8578  http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~rha