Subject: (FRNETMIB) Obsolete object in draft-ietf-frnetmib-frs-mib-09.txt

From: "Rehbehn, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:33:21 -0500

In his review of draft-ietf-frnetmib-frs-mib-09.txt, Dave Perkins has
questioned the purpose of the objects frLportVCSigPointer and
frLportVCSigPointerAdmin.

These objects are object identifiers with descriptions that claim:

-------------

The value of this object is used as a pointer to the table that contains the

Local In-Channel Signaling Protocol parameters and errors for this UNI/NNI
logical port.  

See the Frame Relay Management VC Signaling Parameters and Errors Group.

-------------

However, neither RFC1604 or draft-ietf-frnetmib-frs-mib-09.txt appear to
need this pointer.  A single table, frMgtVCSigTable, provides a set of
columns that handle all possible signaling mechanisms.  The table is indexed
by the ifIndex of the interface.   This simple scheme eliminates the need to
have multiple table types, one for each signaling protocol.  As a result, it
appears that the object frLportVCSigPointer is superfluous - since we don't
have multiple table types to select from.

I would like to change the status of frLportVCSigPointer from "current" to
"obsolete".  I would also like to remove the new object
frLportVCSigPointerAdmin from the draft.

If there are no objections, I will make these changes in the next I-D that
gets published.

Regards,
Ken

---------------------------------------------------------------
Ken Rehbehn                              Phone: +1-301-296-2325
Visual Networks                            Fax: +1-301-296-2302
2092 Gaither Rd              EMail: [email-masked]
Rockville, MD  20850              http://www.visualnetworks.com 
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.