Subject: (FRNETMIB) FR SLA MIB - Issue 4 - Bidirectional flow tracking and abandonmen t of the FR DTE MIB

From: "Rehbehn, Kenneth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 16:27:28 -0400

> > 4) Provide index mechanisms to support the modeling of a circuit as
> > two
> > half-duplex flows so that delivery success can be reported for the
> > east-to-west direction as well as the west-to-east direction.
> 
> This MIB is described as working with two devices to get the
> information.  The mechanism you describe is implementation specific
> and requires that a single device can be used to get the statistics
> for both ends of the PVC.  However, if implementations exist that
> currently do this, it should be covered.  This issue is handled in my
> solution to question 12.  If we let the user index on reference points
> as well, we can add both directions of data by selecting the
> appropriate reference point.

I don't think that solves the problem.  The TC for FrsldRP is:

                    srcRP(1), -- Source Reference Point
                    ingRP(2), -- Ingress Reference Point
                    tpRP(3),  -- Traffic Policing Reference Point
                    eqiRP(4), -- Egress Queue Input Reference Point
                    eqoRP(5), -- Egress Queue Output Reference Point
                    desRP(6), -- Destination Reference Point

frsldPvcCtrlSrcRp would get set to srcRP, ingRP, or tpRP.  

frsldPvcCtrlDesRp would get set to eqiRP, eqoRP, or desRP.

Simply indexing off these objects is insufficent.  You would need a new
object to represent flow direction.  

A far better approach would be to restrict this MIB to an environment that
supports the FR Service MIB.  Use the cross connect table of the FRS MIB to
uniquely distinguish the bi-directional flows.  Then, create a low-to-high
flow sample table that is indexed by the cross connect index and represents
service delivery for frames flowing from the low ifIndex to the high
ifIndex.  Create a high-to-low flow sample table also indexed by the cross
connect index and represents service delivery for frames flowing from the
high ifIndex to the low ifIndex.

This also solves the problem with NNIs, because each segment of the DLCI
will be found in a different cross-connect table.

Elimination of support for the FR DTE MIB also makes sense when you look at
what the purpose of the SLA MIB is: customer network management, the purpose
behind the FR Service MIB!
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.