Subject: (FRNETMIB) frnetmib draft minutes

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:41:43 -0500

I've enclosed the frnetmib draft minutes, from Ken.  Many many thanks to 
Ken for filling in for me while I was presenting elsewhere.  Please respond 
if you have any comments.

Cheers,
Andy

--------

Frame Relay Service MIB WG (frnetmib) Minutes

Chair: Andy Malis <[email-masked]>
Guest Chair: Ken Rehbehn <[email-masked]>

The frnetmib working group met Tuesday, December 12, 2000 from 1700 to 1800.

AGENDA:

1.  Administrivia, current WG status

- The following working group documents have been published as RFCs:

RFC 2954,  Definitions of Managed Objects for Frame Relay Service

RFC 2955, Definitions of Managed Objects for Monitoring and Controlling the 
Frame Relay/ATM PVC Service Interworking Function

RFC 3020, Definitions of Managed Objects for Monitoring and Controlling the 
UNI/NNI Multilink Frame Relay Function

- The working group expects to go into maintenance mode (i.e. just be the 
email list) once the two on-going working group documents (frmrelay-service 
and frsi MIBs) are complete.

2.  Ken Rehbehn, quick overview of the final revisions to RFC 3020 (was 
draft-ietf-frnetmib-mfrmib-04.txt), Definitions of Managed Objects for 
Monitoring and Controlling the UNI/NNI Multilink Frame Relay Function

Ken presented the major changes to the MFR MIB resulting from the IESG 
review prior to publication. The main changes were:

o A variety of clarifications regarding MIB operation

o Changed location from experimental to under mib-2 transmission

o Added ranges and descriptions of the meaning of a value -1

o Changed descriptors starting with "bundleXxxx" to "mfrBundleXxx"

o Eliminated intermediate nodes mfrMibScalarObjects, mfrMibBundleObjects 
and mfrMibBundleLinkObjects

3.  Rob Steinberger and Orly Nicklass, 
draft-ietf-frnetmib-frmrelay-service-02.txt, Definitions of Managed Objects 
for Frame Relay Service Level Definitions (FRF.13)

Rob reviewed the changes made since the conclusion of the Working Group 
Last Call and the Pittsburgh meeting.  The major changes included the 
removal of the free running counters, the merger of the availability and 
data tables, the use of a consistent prefix for the MIB object names, and 
new ASCII figures.

An additional clarification will be provided in the next version of the MIB 
(.03) to replace Section 3.6.2.  The new text describes 2 half-duplex flows 
evaluated with a total of 4 reference points.  Randy Presuhn recommended 
use of the term "uni-directional" instead of half-duplex to characterize 
the flow.  The new draft will be published in the next several weeks.

The working group consensus is to forward the draft to IETF Last Call 
following a short review period for the new changes.

4.  Rob Steinberger and Orly Nicklass, Rob Steinberger and Orly Nicklass, 
draft-ietf-frnetmib-frsi-00.txt, Frame Relay Circuit Interface MIB

This MIB provides the ability to generate ifEntries for frame circuits.

The motivation is that neither RFC 2115 nor RFC 1604 create ifEntries for 
DLCIs. RMON requires an ifIndex to monitor a data source, so the RMON WG 
requested that we do this work during the Adelaide meeting.

In addition, routing MIBs (such as the CIDR Routing Table and Net to Media 
table) require ifIndex to control routing. Without it, you cannot control 
or display the routing to or on virtual circuits in a non-proprietary 
manner. There is not a need to create ifIndex for every circuit, but it 
would be nice to have one for the interesting circuits.

Rob described recent changes to the MIB.  Frame relay specific terms were 
changed to allow application of the MIB to ATM connections.  A specific ATM 
example was added to the MIB to illustrate usage in an ATM 
application.  Rob will obtain new ifType codepoints from IANA for both 
frame relay and ATM connections.  He will then publish the updated 
MIB.  The consensus of the working group is that Working Group Last Call 
should begin when the updated MIB is available.

4. Open discussion

There being none, the group adjourned.

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis     [email-masked]     phone:408-383-7223
Vivace Networks/2730 Orchard Parkway/San Jose, CA 95134/fax:408-904-4748
http://www.vivacenetworks.com

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe frnetmib' in the body of the message.