Subject: Ftp-WG: Spam on this list, can it be moderated?

From: David Borman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:58:18 -0500

> From: Alun Jones <[email-masked]>
> To: FTPEXT Working Group <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Ftp-WG: Spam on this list, can it be moderated?
>
> At 07:57 AM 3/23/2000 , you wrote:
> >I've seen about 5 spam messages in 7 days from this list.
> >
> >I guess it's not moderated. Can this list be made moderated, or should I
> >just shut up and take it?
>
> This has been discussed before, and basically because it's an IETF working 
> group mailing list, it's not allowed to be moderated, censored, or 
> pre-edited in any way.  Anyone must be allowed to post, even if they don't 
> read the list.  I think that the IETF could remove that latter 
> consideration, and require that posters be members of the mailing list 
> (otherwise they ask questions that have been previously answered) before 
> they post, but that's a matter, presumably, for another forum.

Another fix would be to just change the name of the list.  I did that for
the telnet mailing list.  The old subscription address continues to work,
and if people subscribe to the old address, they get informed of the new
address for the list.  That got rid of all the spam on the telnet mailing
list.

			-David Borman, [email-masked]