Subject: Ftp-WG: New version of mlst draft (-10) submitted

From: "Mark Symons" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:07:06 -0500

> I have just submitted rev -10 of the mlst draft - the one that
> should be the last one...

Oops.  Then this is something I should have spotted earlier, from Section
4.4:

# For other uses, the "Size" fact of the MLST command (see
# section 7.5.7) ought be requested.

"ought to be" would be grammatically correct.

Mark Symons
Augusta, GA

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:52:29 -0500

Date:        Thu, 2 Mar 2000 13:07:06 -0500
    From:        "Mark Symons" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | # For other uses, the "Size" fact of the MLST command (see
  | # section 7.5.7) ought be requested.
  | 
  | "ought to be" would be grammatically correct.

I'm not so sure on that one - more common certainly, but more
correct I don't know.

But if it is the consensus to change that, I think that is the kind of
thing that we don't have to worry about changing after we do an IETF
last call...

kre

---

From: Alun Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 08:46:15 -0500

>thing that we don't have to worry about changing after we do an IETF

Certainly where _I'm_ from, "ought be" is incorrect and meaningless.  In 
this instance, "to be" is an infinitive, and cannot be changed to "be".

"ought be", if it is anything, is a contraction of the slang "oughta be", 
which is similarly a contraction of "ought to be".

Alun.
~~~~

--
Texas Imperial Software | Try WFTPD, the Windows FTP Server. Find it
1602 Harvest Moon Place | at web site http://www.wftpd.com or email
Cedar Park TX 78613     | us at [email-masked].  VISA / MC accepted.
Fax +1 (512) 378 3246   | NT based ISPs, be sure to read details of
Phone +1 (512) 378 3246 | WFTPD Pro, NT service version - $100.
*WFTPD and WFTPD Pro now available as native Alpha versions for NT*