Subject: Ftp-WG: FTP

From: Bryan Starbuck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:48:19 -0500

Hi.  RFC 1579 will help
(http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc1579.html).

I wrote the graphical FTP support in IE 5.  I used the wininet APIs and they
will solve some of the problems for you.  These are some areas you should
handle:
1. Support both PASV and non PASV.
2. Test with "Microsoft Remote WinSock".
3. WPAD - WebProxy AutoDiscovery
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/standards/top150/network.asp &
http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html)

WPAD is really cool.  Admins can put an URL to their proxy configuration
settings in a DNS or DHCP server.  IE will then automatically download the
settings and configure the proxy.  If you use wininet, it will use the
settings automatically.  If not, you should try to pull the settings out of
wininet.

I hope that helps.
Bryan Starbuck
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Teodor Angeloff [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 1:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Ftp-WG: FTP

hello,

i am developing a FTP client application running under MS-Windows.
( http://www.geocities.com/filesteward )

i want to add support for proxy/firewall but i don't have any documentation
how this is realized.

another direction for improvements is the security. i want to add any 
user authentication mechanisms available but only standard methods (not 
drafts). unfortunately, it seems most of the FTP servers running now do not 
support any extensions to RFC959.

any suggestions and URL-s with proper documentation are welcome.

thanks in advance,

----------------------------------------
Teodor Angeloff