Subject: [GGIE] Requested! Re: Proposing an actual BoF for IETF 105 in Montreal, looking for volunteers and suggestions

From: "Leslie Daigle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2019 09:16:25 -0400

Thanks, all, for the discussion and suggestions.  I updated the bof 
request, based on that, and have submitted it.  You can see it on the 
BoF request wiki (https://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/) and I’ve 
pasted it below for easy reference.

Here’s hoping we meet in Montreal!

Leslie.

MOPS

Media OPerationS (MOPS)

     Description:

The purpose of this BoF is to highlight the many existing video 
activities that are leveraging IETF protocol work, identify gaps in IETF 
work and/or areas of incompatibility with video technology development 
efforts being carried out elsewhere, and identify a core group of IETF 
participants working on video activities across the IETF’s technology 
areas.

Internet- and Internet-protocol-delivered video/media is popular, 
leading to significant technology development across industries not 
traditionally thought of as Internet technology developers or operators, 
as well as considerable quantities of traffic on local and transit 
networks. Continued development of Internet-using technologies should be 
properly coordinated in order to ensure that the existing technologies 
are well-utilized, and new ones are developed in sympathy with the 
Internet’s core protocols and design.

Some concrete areas for IETF interest could include:

     Requirements for maximizing interoperability of video technologies
     Operational practices for improving quality for any network 
conditions
     Operational practices for making the best use of available 
infrastructure
     Identifying other challenges in operations: isolating performance, 
reachability, and interoperation issues

Additionally, networking-related issues driven by media delivery 
(particularly the scaling issues and the real-time requirements, where 
those are a factor) need to be examined in detail, especially 
considering various proposed solutions in the IETF context, with access 
to and comments from networking experts and network operators.

As a concrete example, the open caching working group within the 
Streaming Video Alliance relied on CDNI RFCs and extended those RFCs to 
account for use case extension however, there are areas such as 
interoperability where the IETF publications do not provide detailed 
guidance or clarify issues associated with HTTP redirections and how 
they should be handled by HAS video players.

These “operational” issues would have a better chance of being 
examined in MOPS and specifications can be developed.

This BoF and proposed WG have been discussed on the ​[email-masked] 
mailing list, where there have been several expressions of support for 
the discussion and potential work. The archive is available here:

​https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ggie/

     Status: WG Forming
     Responsible AD: Warren Kumari and Éric Vyncke
     BoF proponents: Leslie Daigle <​[email-masked]>, Glenn 
Deen <​[email-masked]>
     BoF chairs: Leslie Daigle and Glenn Deen
     Number of people expected to attend: 40
     Length of session (1, 1.5, 2, or 2.5 hours): 2 hours
     Conflicts to avoid (whole Areas and/or WGs): QUIC, CDNI, MBONED

     Agenda
         0/ Agenda bash
         1/ Scope of video on the Internet
             Jake Holland — I-D forthcoming
         2/ Video using IETF technologies
             Sanjay Mishra — OpenCaching? update (Streaming Video 
Alliance work)
             <others pending>
         3/ Scoping discussion for possible onward IETF work
             Discussion of IETF-specific work
             Identification of concrete work items: E.g., A roadmap 
document about the various video-related and video-delivery-related 
standards
             Solicit volunteers — for work items, onward discussion
             [Review of draft WG charter]
         4/ AOB

On 29 May 2019, at 14:01, Leslie Daigle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We’ve been working with Éric to see about having a “Media OPS” 
> bof in Montreal, and I’ve copied a draft agenda/proposal framework, 
> below.   Comments welcome.
>
> As the BoF request deadline is approaching, I’d like to get some 
> firm commits on concrete contributions (I-Ds are ideal; presentations 
> are possible).   If you have a contribution you’d like to share in 
> the agenda, please let me know; if you’ve already heard from me with 
> a request, I’ll be following up :^) .
>
>
>
>
>
> Media OPerationS (MOPS) BoF
> Area: OPS
> Chairs: Leslie Daigle ([email-masked]), Glenn Deen 
> ([email-masked])
>
> Agenda
>
> 0/ Agenda bash
>
> 1/ Scope of video on the Internet
> <contributions solicited>
>
> 2/ Video using IETF technologies
> <contributions solicited; I was thinking that LURK and OpenCache might 
> fit well here, again>
>
>
> 3/ Open questions for IETF and video
>
>
> AOB
>
> Full description of BoF:
>
> Internet- and Internet-protocol-delivered video/media is popular, 
> leading to significant technology development across industries not 
> traditionally thought of as Internet technology developers or 
> operators, as well as considerable quantities of traffic on local and 
> transit networks. Continued development of Internet-using technologies 
> should be properly coordinated in order to ensure that the existing 
> technologies are well-utilized, and new ones are developed in sympathy 
> with the Internet’s core protocols and design.
>
> The purpose of this BoF is to highlight the many existing video 
> activities that are leveraging IETF protocol work, identify gaps in 
> IETF work and/or areas of incompatibility with video technology 
> development efforts being carried out elsewhere, and identify a core 
> group of IETF participants working on video activities across the 
> IETF’s technology areas.
>
>
>
> Conflicts to avoid: ???
>
> Expected attendance: 40
>
> Length of session: 90min
>
> Leslie.
>
> -- 
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> Leslie Daigle
> Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
> [email-masked]
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> GGIE mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ggie

-- 

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Leslie Daigle
Principal, ThinkingCat Enterprises
[email-masked]
-------------------------------------------------------------------