Subject: [hackathon] IETF 109 Hackathon webpage and wiki are now live

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 20:43:16 +0000

Hi Everyone,

The IETF Hackathon will be online again for IETF 109. It is scheduled for Monday-Friday, November 9-13. The format will be very similar to IETF 108 with some changes based on lessons learned and feedback communicated directly and via the post event survey. The first noticeable improvement is that this announcement and the availability of the wiki are happening more in advance this time around.

https://www.ietf.org/how/runningcode/hackathons/109-hackathon/
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/ietf/meeting/wiki/109hackathon

Project champions are welcome and encouraged to add projects to the wiki asap. 
The ability to request access to special networking capabilities is also being made available more in advance. Hopefully this enables more of you to work more collaboratively despite the challenges associated with not being in the same room.

Registration for IETF 109 and for the Hackathon are expected to open the week of September 21.

Cheers,
Charles

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:37:28 -0400

Charles, availability of the RPI based L2-VPN-bridges changes things
significantly for me.  I was previously rather blase about remote hackathons.

As long as I can't see your network traffic, and look over your shoulder, and
share caffeinated beverages with you, then I might as well just stick to
efforts to run stuff over the Internet.

I learnt of the bridge option late, and that would have changed my opinion.
I suggest that you mention this option on the
   https://www.ietf.org/how/runningcode/hackathons/109-hackathon/
page.

How soon are we able to test things?   I might even want to prep devices and
mail them to people.

Right now, it's a bit buried on the wiki.

   The NOC team has been working to allow you to join the IETF network while
   attending the meeting remotely. With a Raspberry Pi 2 or newer the NOC has
   a recipe that will allow your team to be virtually connected to the IETF
   network with IPv4 and IPv6 addresses and many options (IPv6ONLY, a closed
   user group, NAT64, IPv6PD, and more) for you to use for your
   projects. Your project champion can request getting access by sending a
   message to ietf109virtualnetwork @ noc.ietf.org. Please include your
   project name and members. The NOC will provide you with the recipe.

(oops, it seems that the email address does not yet work)

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 21:30:53 +0000

Hi Michael,

Glad you find this networking capability useful. We do plan to offer it for the IETF 109 Hackathon, but I jumped the gun a bit in adding it and the email address for requests to the wiki. Once we work out some additional details the wiki will be updated and more attention will be placed on this game changing option.

Cheers,
Charles

On 9/11/20, 1:38 PM, "hackathon on behalf of Michael Richardson" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    _______________________________________________
    hackathon mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hackathon

---

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 21:27:47 +0200

Michael, colleagues,

It is worth considering in detail how a hackathon could happen in a 
remote manner.

I fully agree with you when you say 'look over the shoulder, share 
caffeine, see packets' is very necessary, and impossible in a remote 
hackathon.

It is also difficult to support a hackathon activity by sendind devices 
via post.  A package sent to me by US Post in April arrived in July. 
Another one in August took 1 month.

I am interested in SLAAC trials; these are needing indeed both parties 
to be together on a local link.  To separate them and put Internet 
between them there might need VPN.  I suspect L2-VPN-bridge is that. But 
some linux devices are so small they might not implement VPN at all, or 
might lack some kernel features that might be required for that.  So 
again, this is hard to realize.

For my SLAAC activity, I am looking for testers of a SLAAC extension in 
the kernel. This extension, in linux, makes it possible to run plens 
like 65 and IIDs of length eg 63 (currently only 64/64 is possible in 
linux).  I think we would like this tested more prior to submission to 
the mainline kernel.  There is also opportunity to propose extensions 
(there are so many possible ways in which to form IIDs) and to author 
Internet Drafts.   The proposed code for this 'variable-slaac' is in 
github at https://github.com/dmytroshytyi/variable-slaac

Finally, the hackathon activity could be maintained alive by a few other 
things, such as advocacy, maybe just temporarily.  For my part I still 
advocate the use of IPv6 on sites who dont yet (eg github.com, and maybe 
dev.cisco.com);  maybe that advocacy could be used locally by the 
webserver admins to configure IPv6, without a need to interact with 
coffee and look at packets and over shoulder.  They could install it and 
I could browse it over the Internet.

Yours,

--
Alexandre Petrescu
[email-masked], tél 0169089223