Subject: [Hipsec] RE: About identifiers, HITs, and security (was Re: A roadmap for end-point identifiers?)

From: [email-masked] (Michel Py)
Date: Tue Sep 16 23:09:04 2003

> Pekka Nikander wrote:
> I don't think it is possible to redure round trips in HIP base

Note that I do not intend to be negative, but this will likely be an
issue with systems such as credit card transactions and other real-time
on-demand transactional systems, for two reasons:

1. The bandwidth in use by the HIP base might significantly increase the
aggregated bandwidth for the system. I know that we are talking about
peanuts here, but peanuts multiplied by the number of credit card
transactions that happen every second can amount to a very large pipe.

2. This also applies to the CPU requirements in front-end systems as
well; try to project HIP to millions of 50-byte transactions. The
problem of vending terminals having the brains of a bird is no longer,
but is still valid on the front-end side that aggregates them.

> However, I really need to read Hugo's sigma paper
> http://www.ee.technion.ac.il/~hugo/sigma.pdf

This doc is not available to me.

> I guess you mean CGAs.

Thanks for correcting me. I was thinking about Cryptographically
Generated Indentifiers :-)

Michel.

---

From: [email-masked] (Pekka Nikander)
Date: Wed Sep 17 00:22:00 2003

> on-demand transactional systems, for two reasons:

Thanks for point this out.  It may be that we need to think
about this more.  It has been clear from the very beginning
that you can't apply HIP to DNS transactions.  In general,
HIP is good only when you need to have network level
identification, for whatever reason.

In most transaction systems you don't seem to care about
the network level identities.  The application level identities
do matter, of course, but HIP does not (necessarily) address them.

On the other hand, if you need to do transactions repeatedly
with the same party, you can have a long lasting HIP SA pair,
and use it repeatedly without almost any penalty.

> This doc is not available to me.

Seems to be available as postscript:
http://www.ee.technion.ac.il/~hugo/sigma.ps

--Pekka