Subject: [Hipsec] Updating moskowitz-hip-07: IPv4 pseudo header

From: [email-masked] (Robert Moskowitz)
Date: Fri Sep 5 16:05:01 2003

At 01:05 PM 9/5/2003 -0700, Henderson, Thomas R wrote:

> > On the other hand, if HIP gets commonplace, I would expect
> > many NAT vendors to provide firmware updates that teach the
> > NAT boxes to process the HIP packets and to set up the
> > SPI mappings so that ESP works.
> >
>Yes, but we have a chicken-and-egg problem here with the massive
>NAT deployment in place.  NAT is deployed in lots of products
>nowadays-- some of which may not have a convenient upgrade path.

Think about this Netgear bug.  10,000 units out there that need an 
upgrade.  How many will do it?

Of course with HIP and NATs the hope is that the NAT owner wants the 
feature and will be interested in doing the update.

On the otherhand, my DSL provider will NOT let me upgrade my router, as 
that is the version that they got working with their DSLam, and they no 
longer use my router for new installs....

oy.