Subject: [Hipsec] Type 1 and 2 HITs

From: Petri Jokela <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:05:20 +0300

Folks,

at the HIP WG meeting in Paris, it was proposed that Type 2 HITs will be
removed from specifications (base draft, DNS draft) and Type 1 HITs will
be the only type of HITs at this point of time. Concensus was that Type
2 HITs will be removed. Current implementations do not support them and
there were no plans from anyone to implement the support now. 

The HIT will be formed from a prefix and a hash over the HI (like it is
already defined in the base draft version -03). In addition, a new draft
will be written describing the prefix that would be used for HITs (and
for other similar purposes). This prefix should be allocated from the
IPv6 address space and the draft is planned to be submitted to the IPv6
WG. 

Using the prefix, new HIT types can be defined in the future. If there
comes up a need for "Type 2" properties, a new HIT type can be defined
later using this prefix. 

So, before removing them from the base draft, please give comments if
you think that Type 2 HITs should be kept in the draft. This request is
mainly targetted to those who were not able to participate the HIP WG
meeting. 

/Petri

_______________________________________________
Hipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec