Subject: [Hipsec] TCP port negotiation for HIP over HIP

From: Ari Keranen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:01:21 +0300

Hi all,

In an off-line discussion we figured out that using a fixed TCP port 
number in the ESP TCP mode in the HIP-over-HIP draft would most likely 
require registering such a port with IANA (currently the draft uses 
10500 noted as "reserved" by IANA due to same UDP port number being 
assigned for HIP NAT traversal), but since this port is never used 
outside of a HIP-initiated SA, it could be hard (and probably not make 
much sense) to register a port for that.

Therefore, I would propose making the port number negotiable and 
piggyback it in the transport mode parameter negotiation. In practice 
the change would look something like this:
http://users.piuha.net/akeranen/drafts/draft-ietf-hip-over-hip.rHEAD.xml-diff.html

Opinions?

Cheers,
Ari

---

From: Miika Komu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:08:56 +0300

> http://users.piuha.net/akeranen/drafts/draft-ietf-hip-over-hip.rHEAD.xml-diff.html

Hi,

sounds reasonable to me.

---

From: "Henderson, Thomas R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 21:37:48 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ari Keranen
> Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:01 AM
> To: HIP WG
> Subject: [Hipsec] TCP port negotiation for HIP over HIP
>
> Hi all,
>

+1

- Tom

---

From: Ari Keranen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 13:05:08 +0300

Hi all,

FYI, people seemed to agree that this is a good idea (thanks to all 
commenting, on and off-list), so this feature is included in the latest 
revision.

Cheers,
Ari