Subject: [Hipsec] I-D Action: draft-ietf-hip-dex-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:04:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Host Identity Protocol of the IETF.

        Title           : HIP Diet EXchange (DEX)
        Authors         : Robert Moskowitz
                          Rene Hummen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-hip-dex-01.txt
	Pages           : 47
	Date            : 2016-03-21

Abstract:
   This document specifies the Host Identity Protocol Diet EXchange (HIP
   DEX), a variant of the Host Identity Protocol Version 2 (HIPv2).  The
   HIP DEX protocol design aims at reducing the overhead of the employed
   cryptographic primitives by omitting public-key signatures and hash
   functions.  In doing so, the main goal is to still deliver similar
   security properties to HIPv2.

   The HIP DEX protocol is primarily designed for computation or memory-
   constrained sensor/actuator devices.  Like HIPv2, it is expected to
   be used together with a suitable security protocol such as the
   Encapsulated Security Payload (ESP) for the protection of upper layer
   protocol data.  In addition, HIP DEX can also be used as a keying
   mechanism for security primitives at the MAC layer, e.g., for IEEE
   802.15.4 networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-dex/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hip-dex-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-hip-dex-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:18:01 -0400

The 'only' change in this version is adding the new ECC from RFC 7748 
the new Curve29919 and Curve448.

PLEASE

I know that our chair has set a long timeframe for getting this draft to 
last call, but.

It is referenced in IEEE 802.15.9 that has gone through all the 
approvals.  If this is not assigned an RFC number soon, the IEEE SA 
editors will cut HIP DEX from 802.15.9.  And that also impacts how 
HIP-BEX is specified as DEX adds the ENCRYPT-KEY parameter needed by 15.9.

So, for anyone that will be at IETF, let's set a time/place to get 
together and go through this so we can move it forward.

I had worked for a year for an AD submission with lots of assurances 
that it would work, but in the end the ADs punted.  So if you want to 
see HIP in other work, please review this and let's move it forward.

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-hip-dex-01.txt

.....