Subject: [Hipsec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis-18.txt> (Host Identity Protocol Architecture) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 06:19:41 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Host Identity Protocol WG (hip) to
consider the following document: - 'Host Identity Protocol Architecture'
  <draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis-18.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-02-26. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This memo describes a new namespace, the Host Identity namespace, and
   a new protocol layer, the Host Identity Protocol, between the
   internetworking and transport layers.  Herein are presented the
   basics of the current namespaces, their strengths and weaknesses, and
   how a new namespace will add completeness to them.  The roles of this
   new namespace in the protocols are defined.

   This document obsoletes RFC 4423 and addresses the concerns raised by
   the IESG, particularly that of crypto agility.  It incorporates
   lessons learned from the implementations of RFC 5201 and goes further
   to explain how HIP works as a secure signaling channel.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-hip-rfc4423-bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.