Subject: Re: [Hipsec] [Tm-rid] Draft charter

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 05:33:15 +0000

Bob,

Just to play it on the safe side, can you schedule a TM-RID BoF at Singapore via https://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/ ? Deadline is Friday 4th of October and the BoF could easily be cancelled if HIP is meeting with an extended charter.

-éric

On 27/09/2019, 16:54, "Tm-rid on behalf of Robert Moskowitz" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Here is my first attempt at a charter for tm-rid.  It will be up to our 
    AD and HIP chairs if tm-rid is a standalone effort, or if this charter 
    will be melded into a revised charter for additional HIP work.
    
    Here goes:
    
    The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft Systems 
    (UAS) Identification (ID) and Tracking Aviation Rulemaking Committee 
    (ARC) (UAS-ID ARC) made recommendations to the FAA regarding 
    technologies available for remote identification and tracking of UAS. 
    The ARC recommended two modalities for remote identification, 
    “broadcast” and “network”.
    
    “Broadcast” would require UAS to transmit information without 
    bi-directional communication with a receiver. “Network” would require 
    UAS to communicate information to a network such as UTM (Unmanned 
    Aircraft Traffic Management).
    
    The ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) F38 Committee on 
    UAS has been working on an industry consensus standard for Remote ID 
    (RID) and Tracking, WK65041.  They have defined a set of messages for 
    UAS to send over Bluetooth Beacon Advertisements or IEEE 802.11 
    Neighborhood Area Network (NAN) to meet the FAA requirements.  The Host 
    Identity Tag (HIT) of HIP is ideally suited to work within this 
    Boradcast RemoteID effort.  HITs can consolidate the 4-tuple of (UA ID, 
    UA physical location, UA onboard host ID, UA onboard host logical 
    location [IP address list]) to a 3-tuple (HIT, UA physical location, UA 
    onboard host logical location).
    
    For HIP to be used effectively in this environment, it needs updates for:
    
    Hierarchical HITs (HHIT) to provide a direct registry of HITs.  HHIT was 
    part of the original design of HIP, but was dropped for lack of a clear 
    use case.  With HHITs, RemoteID messages containing HHITs will provide 
    the information to use DNS to access information about the UAS.
    
    Expanded HIP Registration to support registration of a UAS HHIT in a 
    Registry.  This registration process will provide proof of authenticity 
    and prevent duplicate HHITs from occurring.  Further, these Registries 
    will provide the UAS DNS information and other services (including, 
    potentially, RVS for future FAA NetworkID effort).
    
    New cryptographic algorithms (e.g. EdDSA and Keccak functions) to meet 
    the UAS constrained environment.
    
    Additionally, the ASTM RemoteID messages will be augmented for use with 
    HIP.  Initially this will consist of additional RemoteID Authentication 
    Messages that will use the HI in a public key signing operation to prove 
    UAS ownership of the HHIT and provide ground-listeners proof of 
    registration objects for safe UAS operation when ground-listeners do not 
    have Internet access.
    
    Further work will emerge as experience is gained in using HIP for UAS 
    RemoteID.  For example, some UTM systems envision using OATH for GCS 
    (Ground Control Systems) and authorized safety personnel.  HIP as an 
    OATH method may help in merging HIP into these systems.
    
    The goal is to complete these updates to HIP by the end of 2020.

    -- 
    Tm-rid mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tm-rid