Subject: [Hipsec] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit-00.txt

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 12:54:16 -0400

Hello all.

Finally we are now funded to work on this project.  I am very unhappy at 
what it took to get to this point.   Fortunately, I have been using the 
time to put together some notes that I am quickly turning into drafts.

So work on tm-rid is now open.  Two more drafts will be posted in the 
next couple days.  I welcome reviews and comments.

Also I will be working with the AD for time at IETF106.

Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit-00.txt
Date: 	Thu, 12 Sep 2019 09:49:01 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Stuart Card <[email-masked]>, Adam Wiethuechter 
<[email-masked]>, Robert Moskowitz 
<[email-masked]>, Stuart W. Card <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Robert Moskowitz and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit
Revision: 00
Title: Hierarchical HITs for HIPv2
Document date: 2019-09-12
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 9
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit-00.txt
Status: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit/
Htmlized: 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit-00
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit

Abstract:
This document describes using a hierarchical HIT to facilitate large
deployments of managed devices. Hierarchical HITs differ from HIPv2
flat HITs by only using 64 bits for mapping the Host Identity,
freeing 32 bits to bind in a hierarchy of Registering Entities that
provide services to the consumers of hierarchical HITs.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 14:31:53 -0400

Some points about Hierarchical HITs.

The idea is not new.  See draft-moskowitz-hip-04 from 7/01.  One bit was 
used to identity Hierarchical HITs (HHITs) over flat HITs.

Since this concept was removed I am now faced with how to tell the 
difference in the HIT encoding?

HHITs use a different ORCHID construction.  Kind of violation the ORCHID 
rules.  Remains to be seen if it will take a direct addendum to ORCHID 
for this.  The HID is included with the HI in computing the ORCHID.  I 
often wondered if the HIT Suite should have been included.  Since it 
wasn't we do have to be careful in specifying HIT Suites so it is not 
possible to have identical BIT-level HIs for different HIT Suites.  I am 
not attempting to change this part; maybe I should.

So given a HIT in the wild (I1, or UAS RID broadcast), how do you know 
if it is a HHIT.  Instead of burning through HIT suites as I first 
thought in draft-moskowitz-hierarchical-hip, I am specifying a unique 
HIT prefix for HHITs.

If anyone can see any other way, please speak up.  Again, the ORCHID 
prefix is specified in the ORCHID RFC.  Will we best do an update to ORCHID?

Please chime in.

Bob

On 9/12/19 12:54 PM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Finally we are now funded to work on this project.  I am very unhappy 
> at what it took to get to this point.   Fortunately, I have been using 
> the time to put together some notes that I am quickly turning into drafts.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Hipsec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/hipsec