Subject: [hops] measurement platforms and their capabilities (previously was HOPS bar bof notes)

From: "Bajpai, Vaibhav" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 07:30:59 +0000

Dear hops,

> On 23 Mar 2015, at 18:51, Aaron Falk <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]

> Test infrastructure
> 	• AI: group to share on the list what measurement (platforms) exists and what capabilities they have

Early discussions within LMAP [1] also often lead to folks asking for feature
sets and possibilities of each contemporary performance measurement platform.
So we started digging literature work in this space and found that although
there were surveys on topology-based measurement platforms (such CAIDA Ark
and DIMES); literature work on performance measurement platforms (such RIPE
Atlas, SamKnows and BISmark) was missing.

Therefore, we started writing such a survey in 2013 to plug this gap. This
work got published this week. Thought would share this with you.

Hope it helps.

----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<
A Survey on Internet Performance Measurement Platforms and Related Standardization Efforts
Vaibhav Bajpai, Jürgen Schönwälder
IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials
April, 2015

A number of Internet measurement platforms have emerged in the last few years.
These platforms have deployed thousands of probes at strategic locations
within access and backbone networks and behind residential gateways. In this
paper we provide a taxonomy of these measurement platforms on the basis of
their deployment use-case. We describe these platforms in detail by exploring
their coverage, scale, lifetime, deployed metrics and measurement tools,
architecture and overall research impact. We conclude the survey by describing
current standardization efforts to make large-scale performance measurement
platforms interoperable.

DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/COMST.2015.2418435
Author Copy: http://vaibhavbajpai.com/documents/papers/proceedings/lsmp-comst-2015.pdf
----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<

Thanks!

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/lmap

Best, Vaibhav

=====================================================
Vaibhav Bajpai

Research I, Room 91
Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (CNDS) Lab
School of Engineering and Sciences
Jacobs University Bremen, Germany

www.vaibhavbajpai.com
=====================================================