Subject: [hops] A new proposed RG charter, and a new mailing list

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 22:30:44 +0100

Greetings, all,

The How Ossified is the Protocol Stack (HOPS) Proposed RG is now the Measurement and Analysis for Protocols (MAP) proposed RG, following discussions in Yokohama and on the list afterward (many thanks to all!)

The proposed RG charter is below. Please subscribe to the new [email-masked] list at:

https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/maprg

Measurement and Analysis for Protocols (MAP) RG
===============================================

Our Internet has grown into something that differs from what was envisioned.
Its protocols sometimes operate in an environment other than than that for
which they were designed. For instance, some network elements treat some
protocols differently than others and those protocols themselves are sometimes
reused and abused in ways initially unforseen. The Measurement and Analysis
for Protocols (MAP) Research Group (RG) explores such phenomena by measurement
with the aim to inform protocol engineering and practice.

Many protocol engineering efforts in a standards development context, as well
as best practices for the operation of IETF-defined protocols, can benefit
from insight provided by Internet measurements of various kinds. Likewise,
Internet measurement research efforts can stand to gain from contacts with the
IETF. The Measurement and Analysis for Protocol Engineering (MAP) Research
Group aims to provide a forum for interchange between these two communities,
supporting:

- exchange of measurement-derived insight,
- discussion of techniques and best practices for measurement relevant
 to protocol engineering and network operations,
- collaborations to share data supporting these measurements, and
- a "landing pad" in general for the Internet measurement community to
 introduce its efforts to the IETF

Measurements of any layer of the Internet protocol stack or aspect of Internet
operations are in-scope for the RG, provided they are relevant to protocol
engineering work within the IETF, or the operation of IETF protocols.

Membership
----------

Membership in the MAP RG is open to all interested parties.

Mailing List
------------

The MAP RG mailing list is [email-masked]

Meetings
--------

The MAP RG will meet one to three times per year, as deemed necessary by the
chairs and according to demand. At least one MAP RG meeting will be co-located
with an IETF meeting per year. Given the MAP RG's charter to bridge the gap
between Internet standards and measurement communities, the MAP RG may also
meet colocated with relevant academic conferences or network operator forums,
as appropriate.

Meetings are by default open with open attendance and published proceedings,
with remote participation and recording as provided by the meeting venue,
according to the IRTF's IPR policy. This is always the case with at least one
MAP RG meeting co-located with an IETF meeting noted above. However, as deemed
necessary, the chairs may hold virtual or physical meetings with restricted
attendance to discuss observations which cannot be shared openly, provided
that some outcome of such a meeting may be openly shared with the community.

Chairs
------

Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Dave Plonka <[email-masked]>

Cheers,

Brian