Subject: [i2rs] TR: I-D Action: draft-boucadair-network-automation-requirements-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:38:09 +0100

Dear all,

We submitted this I-D which discusses requirements for network automation. We thought this document may be of interest of this mailing list. 
The document includes a (short) discussion about I2RS-related requirements (see Section 5.2.2).

	Title           : Requirements for Automated (Configuration) Management
	Author(s)       : Mohamed Boucadair
                          Christian Jacquenet
	Filename        : draft-boucadair-network-automation-requirements-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2012-12-14

Abstract:
   Given the ever-increasing complexity of the configuration tasks
   required for the dynamic provisioning of IP networks and services,
   this document aims at listing the requirements to drive the
   specification of an automated configuration management framework,
   including the requirements for a protocol to convey configuration
   information towards the managed entities.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucadair-network-automation-requirements

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-network-automation-requirements-00

Comments, contributions and suggestions are more than welcome. 

Cheers,
Med

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 16:59:39 +0100

>    information towards the managed entities.

Before reading this, what does this document add relative to RFC 3139
and RFC 3535? And from a NETCONF and YANG perspective, is there
anything you guys find not addressed by NETCONF and YANG? (And please
do not confuse data modeling languages with data models.)

You may also want to look at these documents, close to be submitted to
the AD:

    draft-ietf-netmod-interfaces-cfg-08
    draft-ietf-netmod-ip-cfg-07
    draft-ietf-netmod-routing-cfg-06

There is work being done in this space, substantial work. Saying
something is embryonic is not necessarily a good reason to start work
on another baby. First wait for delivery. ;-)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>