Subject: Re: [i2rs] Progressing the chartering effort

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 12:21:01 -0500 (EST)

> From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>

    >> How about 'network interface', though?

    > Why not data plane interface?

The problem is that that's facially ambiguous: does it mean 'an interface to
the data plane to allow control plane entities to manage the operation of the
data plane', or does it mean 'an interface over which the data plane
transfers user data'?

I know, I know, technically "network interface" has the same potential
ambiguities, but I think there's enough history in that term that most
people's first thought on seeing it is "thing that attaches a box into a
particulr network".

	Noel

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:45:08 -0500

> data plane', or does it mean 'an interface over which the data plane

I intended the latter, i.e. an interface used to transmit traffic in the
data plane

> particulr network"

so where do virtual interfaces (e.g., supported via tunnels) fit in?

Lou

> 
> 	Noel 
> _______________________________________________
> i2rs mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i2rs
> 
> 
> 
>

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:48:34 -0500

> so where do virtual interfaces (e.g., supported via tunnels) fit in?

IMHO, they should fit in along with normal interfaces --anything that's
layer 3 on those interfaces can be configured. Forwarding information,
however, should not be modeled on the interface, but rather in the RIB.
I know there might be implementations that connect the forwarding
information to the interface itself, but I'd see that as a special case
of a VRF (with which you can associate specific interfaces), rather than
actually trying to manage the forwarding plane on a per-interface basis.

:-)

Russ

-- 
<><
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 09:30:20 -0500

Sounds like the distinction between (managing) tunnels and
encapsulations.  Either way, both are data plane (/forwarding)
constructs that need to be allowed for in the terminology.

Lou