Subject: [i2rs] What's the next steps for I2RS Models and I2RS Protocol efforts? - We need your feedback

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 08:52:08 -0400

I2RS WG: 

At the I2RS meeting at IETF 98 (3/29  13:00-15:00 CDT), we will be
discussing what our next steps should be on Data Models and the I2RS
protocol.  We will pose the following questions:   

1) Do we wait for the revised-datastores model changes to Yang to publish
models? 

(draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores) 

The topology model must revised or await the revised-datastores to be
published. 

2) Do we want to form joint design teams with netmod for I2RS additions to 

   Yang for the revised datastore model? 

   A kick-start proposal will be presented at IETF 98. We could start joint
design-teams at IETF 98 with NETMOD. 

3) Should I2RS WG await NETCONF and RESTCONF to support the I2RS protocol,
or should we establish joint design teams with NETCONF? 

  A kick-start proposal for this will be presented at IETF for
NETCONF/RESTCONF capabilities. We could start joint design-teams at IETF 98.

4) Are we ready to start working on I2RS additions to other protocols? 

I2RS finished the protocol requirements, and it appears netmod WG has
incorporated control plane datastores and ephemeral control plane datastores
in its YANG design. I2RS determined that we should focus on NETCONF/RESTCONF
as the first protocols with I2RS additions.  If we spin off joint design
teams, for NETCONF/RESTCONF additions (aka capabilities), should I2RS WG
start work on other protocols?   We could engage joint design-teams with the
WGs developing these protocols. 

Possible IETF protocols: 

CoAP with CBOR (for binary encryption of YANG over DTLS/UDP or TLS) 

Forces with YANG encryption into Data models 

Some variant of gRPC
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-openconfig-rtgwg-gnmi-spec-00) 

Some variant of IPFIX (RFC7011) (for telematics only)

We'd like to know your opinion.  Please send mail to the list and join us as
we discuss this at the I2RS session at IETF 98.   

Sue Hares