Subject: Re: [Ietf-and-github] WG documents and pull requests, issues, and WG mail

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 11:49:01 +0900

I have experience using github in IETF, W3C, and FIDO Alliance contexts 
(both as a WG chair (in fido) and as a spec editor (in all three)). IMV, 
W3C has it pretty well figured out _and_ documented, eg see..

   Using GitHub for W3C specifications
   https://www.w3.org/2015/Talks/1217-github-w3c/#/1

We, IETF, ought to develop similar guidelines/procedures. Note also that 
W3C folk developed a github-to-mailing list gateway that allows WGs to 
make fine-grained per-WG gateway configurations (it is open source). 
fyi/fwiw, below's the note I sent to tools-discuss on this topic a while 
back, with relevant links.

Overall, i think github issues and events _need_ to be gatewayed to a 
mailing list of any IETF working group utilizing github.com -- however, 
whether it is done on the main WG mailing list, or an adjunct mailing 
list (that all WG members are encouraged to join) ought to be up to the 
WG chairs & WG to decide.

HTH,

=JeffH

###
On 4/22/16, 3:48 PM, "Tools-discuss on behalf of =JeffH"
<[email-masked] on behalf of
[email-masked]> wrote:

fyi/fwiw, the W3C has pretty well worked out how to incorp github.com
repos into their processes, including mailing lists.

Here's some info that we IETF oughta at least look at and perhaps
borrow/leverage -- it would be great if we could at least stand up a
github-notify-mla instance..

    mailing list integration w/github issues & pull requests & pushes, etc
    https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml/

    note that https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml/index.py
    needs to be installed and configured on a internet-accessible web 
server,
    and registered with github.com as a webhook endpoint. how the W3C's
    instance is config'd is noted here:

      https://github.com/dontcallmedom/github-notify-ml#w3c-instance

see also...

Using GitHub for W3C specifications
https://www.w3.org/2015/Talks/1217-github-w3c/#/1
###