Subject: [Ietf-and-github] I-D Action: draft-ietf-git-using-github-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 20:02:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the GitHub Integration and Tooling WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Using GitHub at the IETF
        Authors         : Martin Thomson
                          Barbara Stark
	Filename        : draft-ietf-git-using-github-01.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2019-10-10

Abstract:
   This document describes best practices for Working Groups that use
   GitHub for their work.

Note to Readers

   Discussion of this document takes place on the GitHub@ietf mailing
   list ([email-masked]), which is archived at
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search?email_list=ietf-and-github
   [1].

   Source for this draft and an issue tracker can be found at
   https://github.com/ietf-gitwg/using-github [2].

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-git-using-github/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-git-using-github-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-git-using-github-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-git-using-github-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 08:37:33 +1300

Hi,

A couple of points on this version:

> Editors SHOULD create a new Internet-Draft submission two weeks prior
> to every session (see Section 7.1 of [RFC2418]).

I think it should be made clear that 'session' does not only mean a face-to-face meeting at an IETF site. RFC2418 refers to 'working group sessions (including those held outside of the IETF meetings' and to 'active "interim" face-to-face meetings, telephone conferences, or video conferences'.

Secondly, I think something like the following is needed, possibly in section 10 'GitHub Limitations':

For practical reasons, some participants might access GitHub only via its web interface. The above recommendations still allow them to participate in discussions. If any participants have no access to GitHub for some reason, the Working Group chairs MUST ensure that their comments are taken into account.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 09:59:00 +1100

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019, at 06:37, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> For practical reasons, some participants might access GitHub only via 
> its web interface. The above recommendations still allow them to 
> participate in discussions. If any participants have no access to 
> GitHub for some reason, the Working Group chairs MUST ensure that their 
> comments are taken into account.

Hi Brian,

There was already text in Section 7 that addressed this point.  I've sharpened it (major additions highlighted), as follows:

~~~
[...]  Participants who wish to limit this time commitment might
follow GitHub activity selectively, either by following only specific issues or
by occasionally reviewing the state of the document.  **Other participants might
not use GitHub at all.**  Chairs are reminded that assessing consensus based on
GitHub content alone cannot be assumed to reach all interested participants.

**Chairs MUST consider input from all discussion venues when assessing consensus
including GitHub, mailing lists, and in-person meetings.  Each venue has
different selection biases that might need to be considered.**

A Working Group chair MUST consult the Working Group mailing list for any issue
that is potentially contentious. [...]
~~~

I've bundled this with the suggested unpacking of "session".

https://github.com/ietf-gitwg/using-github/pull/24

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 17:07:19 +1300

Looks good, thanks.

Regards
   Brian