Subject: [Ietf-and-github] Projects (and labels?)

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 20:52:52 -0500

I was looking at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-git-using-github-06#section-4.1.1,
and thought that I remembered someone from one of the larger IETF github
communities saying that they had relied heavily on labels, but had found
that Github projects were a better way to organize work than labels.

Does anyone else remember someone expressing that opinion?

Best,

Spencer

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 18:03:18 +1000

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, at 11:52, Spencer Dawkins at IETF wrote:
> I was looking at 
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-git-using-github-06#section-4.1.1, and thought that I remembered someone from one of the larger IETF github communities saying that they had relied heavily on labels, but had found that Github projects were a better way to organize work than labels. 
> 

I've said as much.  In QUIC we've found that for some things, a project board has been better.  I don't quite know how to classify that, but perhaps that is something like "labels are for everyone, project board is for insiders".  The location of an issue on the project board is not very visible, but it is useful for tracking state that only insiders need to have.

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 17:23:34 +0000

It's also possible to use both in combination -- there are automations that can move an issue around the project board based on its labels.  (And possibly also relabel it if it's moved on the project board?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Ietf-and-github <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Martin Thomson
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 4:03 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Ietf-and-github] Projects (and labels?)

_______________________________________________
Ietf-and-github mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-and-github

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:20:40 -0500

Mike and Martin,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:23 PM Mike Bishop <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It's also possible to use both in combination -- there are automations
> that can move an issue around the project board based on its labels.  (And
> possibly also relabel it if it's moved on the project board?)
>
> I've said as much.  In QUIC we've found that for some things, a project
> board has been better.  I don't quite know how to classify that, but
> perhaps that is something like "labels are for everyone, project board is
> for insiders".  The location of an issue on the project board is not very
> visible, but it is useful for tracking state that only insiders need to
> have.
>

Thanks for the clues. I'm thinking the largest repository I'm responsible
for is an order of magnitude smaller than QUIC (based on issue numbers and
PR numbers), so I think I can stick with labels for now, while people are
still gathering experience with projects and the combination with labels.

Best,

Spencer