Subject: [EAI] RFC 6532 on Internationalized Email Headers

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:16:16 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6532

        Title:      Internationalized Email Headers 
        Author:     A. Yang, S. Steele,
                    N. Freed
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      11
        Characters: 22725
        Obsoletes:  RFC5335
        Updates:    RFC2045

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-eai-rfc5335bis-13.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6532.txt

Internet mail was originally limited to 7-bit ASCII.  MIME added
support for the use of 8-bit character sets in body parts, and also
defined an encoded-word construct so other character sets could be
used in certain header field values.  However, full
internationalization of electronic mail requires additional
enhancements to allow the use of Unicode, including characters
outside the ASCII repertoire, in mail addresses as well as direct use
of Unicode in header fields like "From:", "To:", and "Subject:",
without requiring the use of complex encoded-word constructs.  This
document specifies an enhancement to the Internet Message Format and
to MIME that allows use of Unicode in mail addresses and most header
field content.

This specification updates Section 6.4 of RFC 2045 to eliminate the
restriction prohibiting the use of non-identity content-transfer-
encodings on subtypes of "message/".  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC