Subject: [EAI] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 01:03:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : EAI: Simplified POP/IMAP downgrading
	Author(s)       : Arnt Gulbrandsen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade-04.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2012-05-02

   This document specifies a method for IMAP and POP servers to serve
   internationalized messages to conventional clients. The specification
   is simple, easy to implement and provides only rudimentary results.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade-04.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade-04.txt

The IETF datatracker page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade/

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 10:07:35 +0200

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-simpledowngrade-04.txt

In my inimitably ru^H^Hfrank style, another update. A bit of
wordsmithing, and two changed paragraphs in the overview section.

"Some operations cannot be performed by conventional clients. Most
importantly, one or more addresses on an internationalized message are
not valid according to the specifications the client uses, so
address-based operations are not possible. This includes displaying
the addresses, replying, and most types of address-based signature or
security processing.

Still, the sender's name, the message subject, body text and
attachments can easily be displayed, so a helpful IMAP/POP server may
prefer to provide access to what it can rather than hide the message
entirely."

Arnt