Subject: [EAI] I-D Action: draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 17:05:53 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Email Address Internationalization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : IMAP Support for UTF-8
	Author(s)       : Pete Resnick
                          Chris Newman
                          Sean Shen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-06.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
   This specification extends the Internet Message Access Protocol
   version 4rev1 (IMAP4rev1) to support UTF-8 encoded international
   characters in user names, mail addresses and message headers.  This
   specification replaces RFC 5738.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-eai-5738bis

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-06

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-eai-5738bis-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:54:13 +0900

This is a minor comment, and can be ignored if it has been discussed 
already.

>     specification replaces RFC 5738.

	Title           : POP3 Support for UTF-8
	Author(s)       : Randall Gellens
                           Chris Newman
                           Jiankang Yao
                           Kazunori Fujiwara
	Filename        : draft-ietf-eai-rfc5721bis-06.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2012-07-16

Abstract:
    This specification extends the Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3)
    to support un-encoded international characters in user names,
    passwords, mail addresses, message headers, and protocol-level
    textual strings.

I suggest streamlining the abstracts. In particular, it would be better 
to have "UTF-8 encoded" rather than "un-encoded" in the POP3 abstract.

I was also thinking about titles with a bit more detail (after all, 
UTF-8 can be used in mail messages with these protocols today), but I 
haven't come up with a good solution yet.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 10:16:13 +0200

> 	Title           : IMAP Support for UTF-8

I've read the -05 document and the 05-06 diff and am happy, except that 
my comment about CHARSET stands.

I'll check my code against -06 later this week.

Arnt