Subject: [EAI] Agenda for IETF 85 (Atlanta)

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:20:31 -0400

Hi.

Just to make sure there are no surprises, I've posted an agenda
for Atlanta, available at
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/eai/agenda?item=agenda-85-eai.html

A quick summary, unless people object and propose alternatives,
is 

(1) We have one and only one agenda item, which is straightening
out the IMAP UTF8=ONLY and UTF8=ACCEPT situations.  People with
proposals about what to do are strongly encouraged to get
proposed text to this mailing list before IETF starts if you can
possibly do so.

(2) The agenda contains notes about conditions for adding items
to the agenda.  Basically, either they need to be on this
mailing list before 1600, Atlanta time, on Wednesday 7 Nov with
an explanation of why they represent a "showstopper" issue or
whoever wants to add them needs to be prepared to make a
presentation of under two minutes (no slides) on Friday to
convince the people in the room to take it up.

We really, really, should not be taking up old issues at this
stage unless there is a convincing argument that there is new
information and that not revisiting them is would cause major
problems.  New topics are not on the agenda at all.

(3) Schedule

0900-1000: Try to reach resolution on specific proposals and
text, than adjorn.

1000-1030: Reserved for a drafting committee if it turns out
that we can reach agreement on the proposals but not the text.

1030-1100: Reserved for WG review and discussion of drafting
committee output.

I can see no alternative to reaching some agreement that gets
the POP/IMAP document set approved for publication this calendar
year.

Whatever conclusion the WG reaches will be posted to the mailing
list over the weekend (or sooner), followed by an immediate call
for objections.  Unless the ADs stop us, the latter will be open
only until Monday night.  Remember that we have concluded WG
Last Call and IETF Last Call on this document and we would not
be having this meeting at all if people agreed on what the text
means.

Those who are not going to be in Atlanta are strongly encouraged
to make their positions and desires known on the mailing list
well before the meeting, especially of 0900 US EST is a
ridiculous time in your time zone.

I'd also welcome good summaries of what people think the various
options are.  They might even be used to shape the final agenda,
especially if people agree to them. 

   john

---

From: "Jiankang YAO" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:43:15 +0800

Because of the visa problem, I will not be in Atlanta this time.
I support any decision made during the meeting. I will be in the jabber.

Jiankang Yao

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "John C Klensin" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 6:20 AM
Subject: [EAI] Agenda for IETF 85 (Atlanta)

> _______________________________________________
> IMA mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ima

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:34:52 -0400

--On Friday, October 26, 2012 16:43 +0800 Jiankang YAO
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Because of the visa problem, I will not be in Atlanta this
> time. I support any decision made during the meeting. I will
> be in the jabber.

Sorry to hear about visa issues.  I thought those were getting
more under control.  

See you on the net.

best,
   john