Subject: Re: [Int-dir] Review of draft-ietf-anima-grasp-09

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 14:25:56 +1300

Hi Charlie,

While reviewing your comments, I came upon one that I don't understand:

> 3.5.6.1.  Flooding
> ...
> A GRASP device with multiple link-layer interfaces (typically a	
> router) MUST support synchronization flooding on all interfaces.  If	
> it receives a multicast Flood Synchronization message on a given	
> interface, it MUST relay it by re-issuing a Flood Synchronization	
> message on its other interfaces.  The relayed message MUST have the	
> same Session ID as the incoming message and MUST be tagged with the	
> IP address of its original initiator.
> 	
> CEP: I am pretty sure this is a mistake.

Why, please? Running code says it works fine.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 13:07:10 -0800

Hello Brian,

I probably should have said more.  I just meant that such nodes ought to 
be allowed to have some network interfaces that do not participate in 
GRASP.  Please excuse the unclear brevity of my remark.

Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 10:45:01 +1300

> GRASP.  Please excuse the unclear brevity of my remark.

No problem. This was a gap in the document as a whole. Easy to fix,
fortunately. 

Thanks
    Brian

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 19:28:16 -0500

Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I probably should have said more.  I just meant that such nodes ought to be
    > allowed to have some network interfaces that do not participate in GRASP.
    > Please excuse the unclear brevity of my remark.

Yes.  generally, GRASP will be running over virtual interfaces provided by
the ACP.  The ACP is basically an overlay mesh using IP (maybe GRE) over
IPsec transport mode using RPL to do routing.  (IPsec Tunnel mode itself
doesn't interact with routing protocols well.  I wish I had an acronym for
this very common usage...)

So, nodes will have physical interfaces on which the ACP runs, and then
ACP secured virtual interfaces on which GRASP will run.  And then the limited
subset GRASP will be used on the physical interfaces to discover new possible
adjacencies.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 13:46:10 +1300

> subset GRASP will be used on the physical interfaces to discover new possible

Yes. Those details don't really belong in the protocol spec, but we will
adjust the wording because Charlie has pointed out that it's currently wrong.

    Brian