Subject: [Internetgovtech] Debate on the African Union Convention on Cyber Security (AUCC)

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 03:49:02 -0800

Hi Jean Paul,
At 21:54 24-11-2013, Jean Paul NKURUNZIZA wrote:
>Thank you Grace for sharing those updates about the  African Union 
>Convention on Cyber Security(AUCC)
>Just last week ( 21 and 22 November 2013) , the National 
>Telecommunication Regulatory Authority of Burundi  ( I am burundian 
>based in Burundi) has conducted a sensitisation workshop about the 
>issue of cybersecurity.

The (European) Convention on Cybercrime is different from the 
(African Union) draft convention on the confidence and security in 
cyberspace.  The former is somewhat about computer-related offences, 
content-related offences and offences related to infringements of 
copyright and related rights.  As a quick note, it seems that the 
draft convention tries to cover consumer protection, intellectual 
property rights, personal data and information systems.  It is a bit 
odd to mix all that with legislation to tackle activities which are 
legislated as criminal activities.

The differences between the convention and this draft convention are 
that the latter:

   - tries to solve the spam problem

   - includes electronic transaction

   - includes a legal framework for personal data protection

The scope of the draft convention is broad.  The draft convention 
does not have any text about lawful interception.  That can be used 
to address the problems the draft convention attempts to solve.  The 
drawback is that it might entail less personal data protection.

Regards,
-sm