Subject: Re: [Internetgovtech] I-D Action: draft-iab-iana-framework-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 08:34:07 +1300

Hi,

Some general comments:

1. As in all documents in this space, I think it's vital to lock
in early the fact that IANA operates under IAB/IETF
instructions. So after the sentence in 1.2:

"Currently the maintenance, implementation and publication of
most of the IETF protocol Registries is performed by the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)."

I think it's important to add

"according to the Memorandum of Understanding [RFC2860]"

(And similarly in section 4.2.)

2. Related to that, I believe the references to "ICANN" in
Section 2.1 Example 2 and Example 3 should be changed to IANA.
ICANN just happens to hold the IANA token at the moment.

3. Section 2.2.1 Example 3 should contain a reminder of the same
thing, for example
"Generic TLD delegation policy is *today* developed bottom-up
through ICANN policy processes."

And so on...
"ICANN, as the *current* IANA functions operator, ..."

Regards
   Brian