Subject: [Internetgovtech] European Commission - Internet Governance

From: Gordon Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 11:49:39 +0100

Commission Européenne - IP/14/142   12/02/2014

Commission to pursue role as honest broker in future global negotiations on Internet Governance

In the wake of large-scale Internet surveillance and reduced trust in the internet, the European Commission today proposes a key reform to the way the Internet is managed and run. The proposal calls for more transparent, accountable and inclusive governance.

Commission Vice-President Neelie Kroes said: "The next two years will be critical in redrawing the global map of Internet governance. Europe must contribute to a credible way forward for global internet governance. Europe must play a strong role in defining what the net of the future looks like.”

The Commission is committed to an internet that continues to serve fundamental freedoms and human rights, Kroes noted: “Our fundamental freedoms and human rights are not negotiable. They must be protected online.”

....

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-142_en.htm

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:37:12 -0500

Thanks, Gordon. This is interesting. 

It is also interesting that they are highlighting not only IANA globalisation but also strengthening the role of the IGF. And there was very clear support for multistakeholder model, as opposed to top-down…

Jari

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 14:48:48 -0500

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It is also interesting that they are highlighting not only IANA
> globalisation but also strengthening the role of the IGF. And there was
> very clear support for multistakeholder model, as opposed to top-down...
>
> Jari

I don't like the multi-steak-holder terminology or the multi-stake one
either. Makes me think of those bitcoin miners chasing me with pitchforks.

The way I see the model is that the Internet has a degree of stability
despite the rapid growth and applications layer innovation. There must
therefore be feedback loops. And there are in fact multiple loops and
layers.

The general public who use the Internet know when it does not work or when
it doesn't let them see pictures of cats or videos. But they tell their
ISPs and their ISPs want to keep them buying the service which typically
means keeping them happy.

The IETF is one of the feedback loops that takes in input from the
technically astute Internet users and delivers it to the providers of
standards based Internet technologies. Some of the technically astute users
are in turn informed by others who are directly or indirectly responding to
requirements from users.

Internet Governance is thus only a government concern for most industrial
countries to the extent that government attention is urgently needed. Which
means an economic, security or sovereignty issue might arise. Such
governments have more than enough work to do controlling risks they need to
control to go looking for extra ones.

And then there are the governments that can't cope with the idea that there
might be a critical infrastructure not under direct government control and
interpret that situation as meaning that the Internet is "a failed state".

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Gordon Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:25:25 +0100

You may also want to look at the ETNO take - see their web-site. 

Remarkably prompt!

Gordon

---

From: Gordon Lennox <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:43:08 +0100

I was asked where to find the ETNO piece.

See their latest press release, in their "press corner".

And for more see:

http://etno.be/datas/press_corner/press-releases/2014/PR02_ETNO%20Internet%20Governance%20time%20to%20evolve_12feb14.pdf

Gordon

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 11:49:22 +0900

Hello Gordon,

> You may also want to look at the ETNO take - see their web-site.

Can you give a link, please. It took me some time to find out that their 
website isn't www.etno.org, but www.etno.be, and I haven't been able to 
figure out yet exactly what on their website you refer to.

Thanks and regards,   Martin.

> Remarkably prompt!
>
> Gordon
>
>
> On 12 Feb, 2014, at 20:37, Jari Arkko<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>
> _______________________________________________
> Internetgovtech mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech
>