Subject: [Internetgovtech] IANAxfr (was: The IETF environment)

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 10:47:08 -0700

Hi Miles,

{Cc to appropriate mailing list]

At 09:05 25-04-2014, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>Silly question, but perhaps relevant in the context of the IANAxfr 
>discussions:
>So, a lot of what IANA does is covered by an MOU between IETF and IANA.
>What happens if IANA doesn't honor it's end of the MOU?  I don't 
>believe it has any recourse measures spelled out.  Beyond that, how 
>would "the IETF" actually notice and respond? (Both informally and formally.)

The details of the IETF Protocol Parameter Registry operation are 
described in RFC 6220.  It is simple enough if ICANN cannot do the 
work; the IAB proposes a fix to the IETF.  It shouldn't be an 
unsurmountable task to implement the fix.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:37:06 +1200

On 26/04/2014 05:47, S Moonesamy wrote:
> described in RFC 6220.  It is simple enough if ICANN cannot do the work;
> the IAB proposes a fix to the IETF.  It shouldn't be an unsurmountable
> task to implement the fix.

There's additional material at http://iaoc.ietf.org/contracts.html

The recourse is built into the MoU: six months notice, which would
give ample time to set up an alternative. I very much doubt it will
ever come to that, however.

   Brian

---

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 08:42:46 -0400

> ever come to that, however.

The recourse is built into the fact that it is only the fact that the
IETF choses to recognize the registry as authoritative that gives it
relevance.

So if the IETF publishes an RFC that defines code points and IANA
refused to recognize them for political reasons, the authority would
inevitably move elsewhere.

Unless of course there was some form of cryptographic authentication involved.

-- 
Website: http://hallambaker.com/

---

From: Miles Fidelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 13:27:21 -0400

> ever come to that, however.

Ok... That's pretty clear.  Thanks!

Miles

-- 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.   .... Yogi Berra