Subject: [Internetgovtech] update to discussion on Transition to the web

From: Theresa Swinehart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:12:42 +0000

All,

Further to my note -- Thank you for your raising some important issues in
relation to the migration of the IANA Transition mailing list to a web
forum. We were trying to serve the broadest community we could as
efficiently, transparently and as accessibly as we could, but recognize
that the migration raised some concerns, which was not at all the
intention, and I apologize for this.  To address the feedback we have
received, we are reinstating the mailing list and we are looking into the
points raised around the terms of service.

Further we apologize for instituting the previous changes without
discussion or further feedback. While we are restoring the mailing list,
there was - and still is - a purpose in setting up the forum, and though
it's after the fact, it's nonetheless appropriate to share with you what
motivated the change.

We had input that some prospective participants are uncomfortable using
email lists.  We also had input that many people wanted additional
functionality or different ways to manage communications. Specifically,
the migration sought to provide a tool to those also less familiar with
using only email lists. The forum was set up to provide the functionality
expected from a mailing list, including that participants can send and
receive posts via email just like the mailing list. It also some
additional aspects some may find easier to manage via, including:
· Ability to choose what they want to see (rather than have to set up
email rules to filter out what they don't want). They can mute or follow
specific threads.
· Ability to sign up for digests (full or topic specific) on a schedule of
their choosing.
· Ability for search engines to search posts.
· Ability to view and respond to specific topics.
· Ability for participants to identify the most valuable contributions by
'liking' them.
· It can be easier for some less familiar with email lists to see new
topics and to navigate to different topics.
· Questions can be made and answered and referred to, saving repetition.
· Future options include such as user selectable machine translation of
posts, thereby allowing multiple language participation in the same
discussion, without the conversation fragmenting by language or locality.

We appreciate that a forum only option raised other concerns, including
many don¹t like to use discussion forums or manage communications that
way. Given the interests expressed to retain the mailing list it will be
reopened shortly.

Thank you again for your continued feedback and suggestions for
improvements, they are important to continue to improve the mechanisms and
engagement in these important discussions.

Kind regards,

Theresa

---

From: Seun Ojedeji <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 12:53:29 +0100

Hello Theresa,

Thank you for this information.

Regards

sent from Google nexus 4
kindly excuse brevity and typos.
On 11 Jul 2014 12:12, "Theresa Swinehart" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Internetgovtech mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/internetgovtech
>
>