Subject: [Fwd: ULE Type Field]

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 09:59:39 +0100

I've spoken to the author, and he has agreed to forward this to the list...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: ULE Type Field
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:47:42 +0800
From: Nurul Azila <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Nurul Azila <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Sir,

I have a confusion here and i would most appreciate if you could help
me. I'm working on ULE encapsulator.

In draft-fair-ipdvb-ule-02.txt :

4.4 Type Field

The second set of ULE Type Field values comprise the set of values > 1500.

4.4.2 Type 2: Ethertype compatible Type Fields

... Type space corresponds to the values 1500 Decimal and 0xFFFF.

therefore is

"Type space corresponds to the values 1500 Decimal and 0xFFFF."

refers to ULE Type Field value of > 1500 or >= 1500?

thank you in advance. hope to hear from you soon.

regards,
nurul

---

From: Gorry Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:37:39 +0100

Thanks for your query!

The current rev of the ULE Spec states that the second part of the Type 
space corresponds to the value range from 1536 Decimal Decimal to 
0xFFFF. The purpose of this change was to align the IETF values to be 
defined for ULE with those actually allocated by IEEE for Ethernet.  The 
values 1500-1536 are not valid for an IEEE frame type.

The latest rev is at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipdvb-ule-01.txt

Note a new rev of ULE is expected by the end of this month (?) to 
complete the issues raised at IETF-60 ipdvb WG meeting. The main issue 
being to define the protocol for Type values less than 1536.

Best wishes,

Gorry